Tuscany Report and Photos

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany Report and Photos

We were in Italy for several weeks in October and November--Southern Tuscany, Sicily and Rome. I have just linked the Tuscany travelogue and pictures to my site--but, Sicily and Rome are still just a vision. Anyway, if interested go to www.janeandken.com and just naviagate to Italy 2004--easy to do. Hope you enjoy it.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Jane, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and pictures. Were planning our first trip to Tuscany for this September. After pouring through your website, I feel as if Ive already been there. I love all of your restaurant comments. Thanks again.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi jane,

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 05:37 AM

As always, wonderful stuff Jane !
You are real travelers and I love the format of your reports. Let us know when the Sicily pics are up.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Oh wow! Just spent half an hour on your site. Since we're staying for a week near Pienza, we'll definitely take advantage of your suggestions. La Porta looks especially inviting.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much. Your site is amazing is going to be so helpful to me!

-Bill
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM

I am really enjoying your pictures and commentary. We will be staying in Montepulciano for a week in late May and June, and this further whets the appetite. Thank you.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:39 AM
awbaker

Thanks for sharing more of your travels, Jane. It's always fun to check out your website! Thanks to your recommendation, we are staying at Sant Antonio this summer. I hope my two little boys enjoy Nico's children as much as Casey does!

Amy

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
In what is apparently a labor of love, your website provides a wonderful and informative resource for people like me who are getting ready for a trip to Tuscany and aren't quite sure what to visit, what to see, where to eat, etc. I, like those before me, really apreciate it! Thank you.

BTW whoever is taking the photos is doing a great job. You have given me some good ideas and I'll be happy if my pics turn out half as good as yours.

Dave
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Jane, thank you so much for this beautiful presentation and wonderful information. Looks like we're going to have to add Cortona as a day-trip (will be staying in Siena for a week).

Thanks again for sharing this with us.
Paula
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Sure glad that so many people have found the site useful. Today there were almost 1300 hits--amazing!! Bob, Colleen asked that I do Sicily next--so am now working on it. I know that you are planning your trip, too. I'll have it up within the next two weeks. Dave, I am the photographer and have fun with it. Amy, your boys will love Sant' Antonio and the children. I will be adding a separate page with pictures of the place and the kids but not until Sicily is up and running.
Thanks to all of you who took the time to say such nice thngs!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:37 PM
bluesky4

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and experience.

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Thanks for sharing. Your pics are amazing!

Your pictures brought more excitement as we count the days until our trip to Italy in May.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Jane, I am curious about something you say discussing several restaurants in Montepulciano. I had hoped that, staying there for a week (roughly the 1st week in June), we could simply wander around until we find the right place to eat at night. But your comments indicate that reservations are a good idea or necessary at several places.

How long in advance do we need to make reservations? Will it be sufficient to stop in during our afternoon stroll and make reservations, or do we actually need to plan ahead?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

jd dallas You don't always need reservations but if you can plan ahead that is a good idea. Usually you just need to make them during the day for that evening--often just an hour or so before. That just ensures you will have a table. It also depends on what time you eat. If you eat early, often you can go right in but tables really fill at 8 PM and after.Some places, sometimes, you really won't get in without a reservation. It all depends on the whims of the day. That's the best I can tell you. If you can, plan ahead, if you can't,then just be flexible. Hope this helps. Where are you staying in Montepulciano?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Jane, thank you. What a lucky child to travel so much at such a young age. Keep it up.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Jane, we are staying at the Politian apartments, where Budman stayed and wrote about last fall. It has been recommended by several people here and at least a couple at slowtrav.com.

To Budman: I read your report about Montepulciano and may follow in a few of your footsteps, particularly with regard to the 1E refills of loose wine. However, I am not sure how much of that we can handle if we drink a bottle with lunch and with dinner.But I will give it a shot.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Loved all of the photos and superb info. BTW, I am available for adoption!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Great stuff! Thanks Jane.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM

jd_dallas, it was some of the "best" vino da tavola that we had in Italy. Be sure to tell them that you are staying in one of the Giacomo Stuart apartments.

Osteria Acquacheta, the first restaurant you come to as you are walking down into town, has excellent table wine also. It's also the favorite restaurant of Giacomo. Make a reservation. They have a menu in English, but every night they handwrite their specials on a sheet of parchment. Bring your menu translator with you -- we found they were the best deals.

Also, the copper shop down the street -- he is the last in several generations of copper pot makers. His sons are not following in his footsteps, so when he passes away, the shop will close. They have some nice stuff in there, so if you see something, latch on to it because it won't be there the next day -- just ask my wife. My nephew, who lived in Rome, bought several pieces of his copper cookware and says it is "top shelf." Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information