2 weeks in Germany-Prague-Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family is landing in Frankfurt in June with 2 weeks to spend. I had planned on going the following: Frankfurt to Wurzburg; then Prague; then Linz; Veinna; Salzburg;Rengensburg; Munich; Stuttgart and back to Frankfurt. My problem is I have to land in Frankfurt. Leave on June 16th, arrive 17th; flying back on 30th.
How many days would you recommend staying in each city?
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Prague is 3-4 days:
1: Stare Mesto + Josevof
2: Mala Strana + Hradcany
3: Nove Mesto + Vysehrad
4: Shopping / souvenir hunt

Stay as long as you like in Vienna and take a daytrip to Batislava.

Nevermind the rest.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I agree with above poster. Prague and Vienna with day trips. I haven't been to Batislava, so I can't comment. I have done day trips to both Cesky Krumlov and Terezin from Prague.

Narrow your cities and post back. Many people here will be happy to help you with your planning. You may want to provide a little more information about your family (ages and interests etc), to get more helpful responses.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM

That's 10 cities in 14 days. WAAAAY too much! I've only been to Vienna, and I had 4 days there and 1 in Bratislava. I think 4-5 days Vienna is a good amount of time because there is so much there.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Sorry JohnY to highjack this thread, but JoeTro, did you post a Vienna trip report? I followed your planning and was interested in how it went. I halfway searched under your name, but decided to ask instead.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Hi. Sorry I've not posted one. I really need to get on that, I know. Feel free to ask any questions, though.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Agree you're try8ing t do way too much. At an absolute minimum you need 3 days (and nights) each in Prague and Vienna (4 would be better). You don;t have time to do all those places in Germany as well.

Or else - just do a Germany trip. Or two places in Germany and Prague. With the travel time in between that will more than fill 2 weeks.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have cut out many cities in Germany. Arrive in Frankfurt, then take the train directly to Wurzburg and spend first nite there to unwimd (only 100kms). If i rent a car, it will be cheaper from Wurzburg than frankfurt airport. Then directly to Prague. Prague 3 days (do you receommend differently). Down to Brno for one night before Vienna. Then Salzburg, perhaps a day in Garmisch then back to Frankfurt. What are your suggestions about days spend out of my 2 weeks now? We are 5, my wife and I and 3 teenage sons. We are there to visit and not do sporting activites as we can do that anywhere. We may do some hiking though. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM

My wife and I (and our 6 yr old son) are planning 8 days for Prague and Vienna and possible Salzburg. I'm looking for more detailed info to the following questions:
1) Names of local eateries in Prague, Vienna and other day-trip cities
2) What are some day-trips in Prague, Vienna and Salzburg?
3) How should I get from Prague to Vienna? I plan on flying.
4) Thinking about renting a car from Vienna to Salzburg...how long of a drive is it?
5) From Salzburg, we will eventually have to go to Zurich to catch our flight home. What's the best way to get to ZRH from Salzburg?
6) Names of local/family run hotels in these cities...I don't need help finding major chains...I'm looking for family run; treat me like family, type hotels.

I know I have lots of questions, but that's because I know you guys have lots of good info. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all. Fire away!!
Please email me directly if you can at [email protected]
thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM

JohnY- Prague to Vienna is about 210 miles. The train is approx. 3.5 hours and about 20 minutes more by bus including a pit stop. The bus lets you off in the center of Vienna near City Hall.

If you rent a car in Germany, make sure that you will be allowed to take it into the Czech Republic. Many companies don't allow that.

If you are driving from Prague to Vienna and want to overnight along the way (it is about a 4 hour drive) consider Cesky Krumlov instead of Brno. It is a bit off your path but worth it.

Vienna to Salzburg is about 3 hours.