Prague and Vienna

Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague and Vienna

We are planning a two week trip to Prague and Vienna the last 2 weeks in October, 2015. With travel days and a recovery day we will have 11 days to visit in total. Should we spend close to equal time in each city or more time in one? We love history, museums, art and most importantly music but also adore exploring cities by foot and just hanging out. We plan on staying in apartments in both locations.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM

That's actually a lot of time to spend there. I wasn't that crazy about Vienna, but it has its advantanges and certainly plenty of history. With that much time, you might consider a side trip to Salzburg for a couple days, from Vienna. I did that, it's fairly easy. Vienna is a bigger city, of course, but Prague is very much a city with lots of classical music opprtunities (as well a Opera, which is a lot cheaper there than elsewhere). They have 3 opera houses there, alone. At October will be a good performing arts period, after summer which isn't very good.

THis is the schedule for the Rudolfinum in Prague, which is a wonderful concert hall, they open on 10/2. http://www.pragueticketoffice.com/ve...dvorakova-sin/

So I guess I'd spend maybe 5 days Vienna, 2 days Salzburg, 4 days Prague (or you could do 5 Prague, 4 Vienna, depends on your interests). It is true I think Vienna has more good art museums than Prague. I'm not sure on the logistics between Salzburg and Prague, or if you'd have to go through Vienna. I went there on the way to somewhere else, not Prague. Of course it would work to go there first, then Vienna, then take the train to Prague but you may not want to start in Salzburg as that also isn't convenient.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
You will likely receive responses for every permutation of time to split between the cities on this forum. I would suggest you investigate what each city has to offer, including day trips, and decide how best to split your time.

In Vienna for five days, for example, you could devote three of them to the city proper, and take day trips to each Melk and Bratislava. Though October's weather can be anything from autumnal gorgeous to gray and dreary, there is enough to do regardless.

Happy Planning!
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM

Vienna is bigger and has more attractions and more easy sweet day trips - like to the Wachau Valley for the Melk Abbey and boats on teh prettiest part of the whole Danube - cute wine towns like Durnstein - after boat take train back to Vienna - at first take train to Melk - boat to Durnstein then bus and train back to Vienna.

Buy one all-inclusive ticket in Vienna for trains, abbey, boat and all needed - a great day out.

Bratislava is just one hour by train from Vienna - a lovely Danube city - neatly restored old town with fort high above it

and even Salzburg is just over two hours each way on a train - one of the best looking cities in Europe - a Baroque wonder.

Budapest is another very possible day trip from Vienna by train or hydrofoil.

so Vienna offers many nice day trips - Prague has some but IME not nearly on the scope as Vienna.

For lots of good info on trains in that area check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd say 3 full days in Prague is about right for the average traveler - much smaller compared to Vienna and then base in Vienna and do day trips as well as explore that multi-faceted city - take the tram out to Grinzing one night for its lively wine taverns.

But with that much time don't miss the Wachau Valley trip:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wach...=1600&bih=1075
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM

<<Budapest is another very possible day trip from Vienna by train or hydrofoil.>>

Not at 8 hours RT (hydrofoil) or 6 hours (train) it's not.

I'd lean toward time in Prague.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 11:41 AM

2 h 37 min is the RailJet time Vienna to Budapest - yes a little long for some but still possible - but granted a lot of time nevertheless on trains - but if it is your only chance to see Busa and Pest perhaps.