17e arrondissement activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be staying in the 17e arrondissement for 3 nights in June with family with 3 teenagers. What sites or activities are in this district?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Where exactly in the 17eme? There are little pockets of neighborhoods in the arrondissement that have their own personalities.

None of the "big" tourist sites are here, although you're just a short walk from the Arc de Triomphe and Etoile. There's a small house museum, I think it's the Nissan-Camado(sp?) Haven't been there yet; I think it's largely decortive arts.

You can walk to Parc Monceau, or even to the Opera and the big department stores on the Grands Boulevards (Printemps, Galleries Lafayette). There's a fun street market on rue Levis and there are often brocante fairs (kind of like flea markets) on rue Courcelles.

I've stayed in the area around Place Periere and I liked it a lot, but it is rather quiet and residential and not especially geared to the tourist (which can be a good thing). Metro connections are decent and you can be in Montmartre in minutes and you're just a short ride away from everything else.

Bonus: if you're on a higher floor of a building, you may even be able to see the Eiffel Tower.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

We are staying on Rue Darcet near the Avenue de Clichy and Boulevard Batignolles. Mostly we will be taking the metro to desired locations, but am interested in what may be nearby to the hotel as we walk around. Good places for families to get food, shop, etc.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know that section of the 17th well at all. You are closer to Montmartre over there.

You might try a search for "Batignolles" to get more info here. Also, has anyone told you about the www.pagesjaunes.fr web site? You can plug in the address of your hotel and get a glimpse of the surrounding block and neighboring businesses or buildings.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi hew,

You can take a virtual walk through your neighborhood at http://www.voila.fr/PagesJaunes/
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I don't know that you are going to want to do major sightseeing in that area or anything -- should be find for dinner and cafes, etc. You should visit the Square des Batignolles which is a lovely park, however, and will be full of locals, not tourists. There is an interesting neighborhood church at one end of it, Sainte Marie des Batignolles. It was built in the early 19th century as a gift from Charles X and has a famous organ (wellknown maker if you are into organs, anyway, Mutin-Cavaille-COll). It's really just residential, there aren't special attractions up there.

You are actually not thar far from Montmartre cemetery, however, so you might take a walk that way--over to place de Clichy and up--if cemeteries appeal to you, however. You could walk around some of Montmartre, up rue Caulaincourt to the Lamarck metro stop or something, and then down to rue Lepic and over to Abbesses metro stop. I wouldn't do any of this if you have other specific plans, though.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM

hewlpac that is where my friends live! I just got back from a visit a few weeks ago.

On Rue des Dames there is a great restaurant- Bistro des Dames. If you have to wait for a table have a drink next door at Lush.

You are very close to the Moulin Rouge (a bit seedy at night but in no way dangerous) and as stated before the lower section of the 17e is wonderful with Parc Monceau and the wonderful food stores there (Be and Heidards). Also the Musee Jaquesmarte-Andre is great.

This area is sometimes a bit grittier. I think of it as the part of Paris that doesn't get the scrub down for the tourist. I hope you don't take this as dangerous because it's not. My friends live on R. Darcet also and we have never had any problems!
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We din't think it was an area with many sites (my daughter's violin teacher stayed in the hotel last year and thought it a good value). We will need to do some laundry in the area and thought people here could recommend restaurants (thanks for the tip!) or ensure I don't pass up something obvious and convenient to where we are staying.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Hello! If you go to bonjourparis.com, the current newsletter has an enthusiastic endorsement of the 17eme, with restaurant and shopping suggestions.

I'll be staying in that neighborhood myself, in October, though I've not set foot in the area on previous trips to Paris. Decided to go somewhere new (to me) and not so touristy. (Picked a hotel out of Sandra Gustafson's "Great Sleeps Paris", 2004.)

Please post a trip report with your own findings when you return. First hand information is always helpful for those following in your path.

Hope you and the 3 teens have a great time!
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Croque M., what's the hotel? Just curious 'cause I like to hood-hop too.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Hey there, elle! It's Hotel Jardin de Villiers.

New owner, recently redecorated. Twenty-six rooms in ruby, gold, or blue, with excellent beds and large screen television sets w/cable & pay for view. AC, Internet in lobby, minibars.

Located just a block or two away from rue de Levis, the shopping street so glowingly described in the bonjourparis article. Close to Parc Monceau.

See details at hotel-paris-etoile.com

My only hard decision was choosing a room overlooking the garden or the street. I've got plenty of flowers here in Florida, so took a street-side room.

In the evenings, I enjoy watching the lights come on in the apartments in the neighborhoods where I stay. Getting a peek through the open windows at the decor, from imaginative to old world gilt. Observing residents entertain dinner guests or ready the children for bed. A glimpse of family life, but family life in another country.
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Hmmm, that does look nice. Interesting location. One of the rooms has wallpaper that I don't love (picky me), but it would certainly not be a dealbreaker. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

Now that I know of your voyeuristic tendencies , may I recommend that you never stay in the Astronomer's Suite at Maison du Consuls in Mirepoix? It comes with its own telescope!