Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stay on Avenue de la Bourdonnais in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at a studio on Avenue de la Bourdonnais. What do you all think of this location?

It's a large studio with King bed but want to know more about the neighbourhood before we decide.

Any information would be good. (Markets, inexpensive restaurans, grocery stores)

Also, does anyone know if there are laundrymats anywhere near that street because the unit does not have a washer/dryer?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Based on our experiences, you would find all the conveniences you cite around the Ecole Militaire metro stop. Cafes, food markets, banks, ATMs, and laundromat. The Avenue de la Bourdonnais parallels a street that runs alongside the Champs de Mars, running down toward the Eiffel Tower and the river Seine. Very nice neighborhood with good public transportation.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM

There's a Franprix and a SuperMarche close to the Ecole Militaire metro stop.

no inexpensive restaurants near there.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM
MaureenB

I replied on your other post, too.

If you click on my name above, you will find my trip report of London-Paris-Amsterdam, with specifics about the hotel we liked in the 7th, the Hotel la Bourdonnis, on that avenue. It had a small market next door, and Rue Cler around the corner for convenience. We liked it a lot.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM

We stayed in a studio apt on Bourdannais in March. There is a laundermat on rue Augereau, just past the intersection of Bourdannais and rue de Grennelle. Easy to operate machines.

A short walk farther down Grenelle will lead you to rue Cler, the market street. On your way there, if you're lucky, a tiny ice cream store on the left side of the street (Grenelle) will be open. There you can buy the most fabulous, rich frozen concoctions you ever tasted. Try the Chocolat Mousse!

There's a grocery store right at the Ecole Militaire Metro exit, too.Also a post office and several ATM's. Plenty of restaurants in the area.

The Bourdannais area is perfectly safe, upscale residential with some small shops. We ended most of our nights sitting on a park bench, watching the Eiffel Tower light show, before strolling back to our apartment.

If you prefer quiet evenings yet convenient transportation to livelier parts of nighttime Paris, you'll love the Bourdannais neighborhood.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:57 AM

The Ave. de la Bourdonnais is a beautiful, tree lined avenue in a pleasent, upscale residential neighborhood. If we win the lottery and buy a luxury apartment in Paris, it would be on my short list of favorite streets. Yes, there are laundromats around, as well as all the usual services.
I hope you have seen plenty of pictures of the apartment. We were considering renting an apartment on that street advertised in FUSAC. The description sounded nice and reasonably priced. I went down to see and...mon Dieu, what a dump! The sofa was an OLD sagging futon covered in a thick layer of cat hair, the "kitchen" consisted of a hot plate, a miniscule sink, and a toy sized fridge, the bathroom was a nightmare of rush, mold and mildew.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. We got a lot of pictures from vrbo.com and it's newly renovated. It looks good. I will ask about full address so I can see where it is on the map.

What buses service this area? I would like to plan our routes if I knew what buses are close by.

Thanks for all the information. I knew people here could help...
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Croque_Madame, I cannot find your trip report. Would you please post the title or the link to it? Thanks.

BTilke, haven't I read that you like the 16th?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Bourdonnais is not far from rue Dominique, where you can catch the #69 bus. It goes through a bit of the 6th, then across the Seine to the Louvre, etc. Coming back to the 7th, you catch it along the rue de Rivoli, if I'm not mistaken; sorry, I don't have may ratp map handy.

Anyway, we found it to be very convenient.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Oh, we love the 16th! The three areas we'd peg for a home in Paris would be: Victor Hugo/Passy (16th), Auteuil (16th) or Bourdonnais or similar (7th, but would take 7th over 16th but ONLY if we had a direct full-on view of the Tower).
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM

There are lots of bus lines that run in that area, or fairly nearby. The 28, 82, 87, 92, 63 and 80 stop around Ecole Militaire and lines 69 and 42 are not far away.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

WOW...You guys are good...Thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:51 AM

You'll be in a great neighborhood. We just got back from spending 12 days in an apartment on rue Augereau, which is a block away from avenue de la Bourdonnais. This was our second trip to this neighborhood and we consider it "our" neighborhood in Paris.
Lots of shopping in the area. We bought croissants, coffee, newspapers, etc. on rue St. Dominque (very nice lady at Comptoir Richard, the coffee shop). There are several "supermarches" in the area, also a pharmacie on rue St. Dominque. On rue de Grenelle there is a fabulous vegetable grocer and a wonderful fromagerie. Also an outlet of Nicolas, the wine shop, on rue de Grenelle and avenue Bosquet, I think owned by a woman and her son, who is very helpful. As mentioned before, don't miss the ice cream shop on rue de Grenelle (it's on the way to rue Cler), the african lady who runs the shop is very nice (I loved the "martinque" ice cream).
If you want to see the area before you book, I recommend you take a virtual tour by going to www.pagesjaune.fr. Click on the photos de ville section, then if you type in your address you will be able to see the outside of the building. Click on the map displayed to go up or down the street.
Hope you will love the area as much as we did.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:36 AM

We stayed in a terrific studio on Ave d.l.B. for a week in 2003. You will love the neighbourhood! It's exactly what you want Paris to be. And, with so many transit options in the area, it's also a great jumping off point for see the rest of the city.
Our place was small and on the 8th floor with no elevator, but we loved it immensely. We are actually trying to find the same apt. right now on the web and can't!! The old website seems to have disappeared, and along with it our favourite apt.