Search

VRBO 49273

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VRBO 49273

Can anyone comment on this apartment in Paris? We are thinking of staying there. It looks nice and I have heard good things about VRBO. It is in the 3rd arondissement.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Jed

A more detailed description or a URL would be helpful.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM

It's not that hard ...

www.vrbo.com/49273
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM

jobo, just so long as you understand that VRBO is no more than a host for people wanting to rent flats and houses; once you find one you like, you deal directly with the owner (or their agent).

It's a great area. I stayed in a place in Rue de Saintonge, the next street east from Rue Charlot. Loved the area ... very residential, with great shops and services on nearby Rue de Bretagne. Nearest Metro stop is probably Filles de Calvaire, but it is an easy walk south into the heart of the lively Marais. Proably no more than 12 to 15 minutes to reach the Seine. I'd happily stay in that area again.

Anselm
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I agree with Anselm, great area. The Enfant Rouge market is nearby along with one of my favorite restaurants, Le Pamphlet.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Rue Charlot is a fairly quiet street. The area in general is one of my favourites in Paris, but it's quickly gentrifying. Some of the older small businesses are still there, but an influx of boutique clothes shops, and quite a lot of properties in the process of being done up.

Here's the photo of the building, and its neighbours, on Pages Jaunes:

http://tinyurl.com/5sbgl6

and a photo of some of the street:
http://tinyurl.com/5p77vc

As Anselm says, it's within easy reach of anywhere you want to go and anything you need.

As for the apartment, to have access to outside space sounds a real bonus.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM

We stayed in that area (one block over and across rue de Bretagne) last week and enjoyed it. Place looks good, and price is reasonable. I'd jump on it if your dates area available.
Ditto the recommendation for Marche des Enfants Rouges - the side entrance is just across from the apartment. It is a relatively small market but in addition to fresh produce offers several places selling prepared food, from Italian to Asian to Moroccan.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM

It's adorable (pronounced with a French accent, of course).
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM

I notice on the calendar that it's rented for a lot of 2009 already, and IMO, that's a good sign.

Have fun!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM

We stayed at this apartment two years ago. We loved, loved, the location. (Ah, the winding streets of the Marais!) The pros are that it's in a very secure building (thought an exterior door and then a gate before you even reach your front door, plus they have those French metal security shutters you can use to secure your windows as well), it pretty much looks exactly like the picture (except when we stayed there the bed and sofa were swapped) so the apt is very clean-- though there's a faint damp smell no doubt from the stone walls.

There's a nice amount of storage space, as well, given the compact size of the studio.

The host is gracious and even provided a nice binder of maps and local recommendations. There's a small supply of books and CDs in the apt as well.

The area is wonderful. Aside from the Enfant Rouge, you also have bakeries, two pharmacies, two or more ATMs, a wonderful cheese shop, a butcher and a produce market, and two small supermarches just down the street on Rue de Bretagne. And you're really close to cute boutiques and restaurants. The Seine is maybe about a 20 min walk, but it's a 20 minutes that goes really fast.

The cons are that, because it's a ground floor location, you don't need any direct light into the apt. I overslept most days because of the cave-like effect. (OTOH, I don't believe I've slept so well since I was a toddler!) Unless something has changed in two years, if you want to watch TV you also don't get decent reception.

Lastly, if you rent the apt, make sure you get a really good primer on how to unlock the front door. Unless it's changed, it's a bit tricky and you can spend a loooong time cursing the door while trying to get it open. As a I recall, the trick is having the key in exactly the 9pm position before pushing it open, but my memory might be faulty.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area or the apt.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Oh, one last thing. The bed is like a tight American full sized bed, so adequate for a couple if they're used to sleeping closely together, and I found the mattress somewhat hard on my delicate American body used to pillow-tops and the like. DH no problems with the firmness of the mattress, though he's much less picky than I am!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM

PegS, what a perfect post; that is exactly the kind of information that is so helpful to future renters.

Might I suggest that you post that description on the world-famous Paris Apartment thread?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35159017

AA
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM

What a fabulous-looking apartment!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Hey, I could really care less but isn't this kind of advertizing a business? Maybe I am wrong.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM

No travelme, the owner is not posting about their apartment but rather a Fodorite is asking opinions about it and other Fodorites are sharing their knowledge of the apartment or at least about the area where the apartment is located.

Personally jobo I think the apartment looks wonderful.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I had bkmarked this + made a point of checking out the building when we were in Paris not long ago. Great location.

As Patrick says, it's in an area that's gentrifying rapidly. I understand the centre of gay life -- and hence hipness -- in the Marais and environs is moving north.

The smallness of the bed (56&quot and its tightness against the wall were 2 negatives I noted in the photos and text. I have a "thing" about being able to approach a bed from either side. Lithe and nimble as I am, I refuse to climb across a bed to get to "my" side.

Everyting else looked grand, though.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 02:14 AM

Hi,

I'm the owner of http://www.vrbo.com/49273. I just wanted to provide a helpful update to those who might read this thread.

First, I really need to update the photos as the bed position has long since changed! The bed and sofa have now swapped positions, which turns out to be a much better arrangement. You can, indeed, get in and out of the bed from both sides, no problem. It is not against the wall. Also, the new arrangement means that the view from the bed is out the glass doors onto the garden. As for size, it is a standard full size bed, not a "tight" or narrow French version or something, in case one might interpret the comment that way.

As for the "faint damp smell" that PegS mentioned, that has also long since been resolved. I discovered the problem one day -- the maid had been storing wet towels and sponges under the sink in the kitchen! As a result, they would naturally promote mildew in there. She is now careful to store them in a ventilated cabinet (made for the purpose) and the problem is gone.

On using the door, the problem key has been replaced. I haven't had anyone tell me of a problem with the door since.

As for light, yes, it is a ground floor apartment. Not much I can do about that! However, the full length double glass doors plus the large window let in more light than you might expect for a normal ground floor. Also, it's worth noting that the amount of light it gets varies over the year -- much more in warmer months. In the end, most visitors spend all the daylight hours visiting Paris, and so it ends up a non-issue for most. On the other hand, like me, most really appreciate the special privileged position on the garden, and the peaceful atmosphere it offers.

Finally, the TV: The apartment now has full digital TV service via ADSL -- along with telephone via ADSL and WiFi internet. So there are some 40 TV stations (with great reception including a few in English (CNN, BBC). But perhaps the best benefit of the new system is free calls to 40 some countries! Calls to the US, whether fixed or cell numbers, are free, for example.

I'm new to this site, but now I plan to pay attention to it. It's so useful to see comments here -- especially if they mention things I can improve!

Cheers,
Chris
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Hey Chris, I'm actually glad that you updated this. I was going to ask if the bed and couch could be switched, I believe that would be a better situation also.
I can't wait to arrive in Feb!!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris, I love the location of your apartment--glad you stopped by to give an update b/c I have now bookmarked your vrbo #. Looks great!