Rue Charles V - pros and cons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering an apartment on this street in the 4th arr. between Rue du Pettit Musc and Rue Saint-Paul.

I've read it's a very residential area, and not far from the Seine. We're first-timers to Paris and will have four nights in Paris before heading north.

If you're familiar with the area, what are some of the pros and cons, location-wise?

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM

I stayed in an apartment on rue Mornay, about 300 metres from rue Charles. I walked all over that area, including both rue du Petit Musc and rue St-Paul. I don't recollect walking along rue Charles, but I may have.

The immediate area is indeed residential and that street will be quiet.

You would be two blocks north of the Seine, very close to Pont Sully to the east and Pont Marie to the west; both cross to Ile St-Louis and then onwards to the Left Bank.

Two blocks east is boul Henri IV, a main road with some shops and restaurants. A couple of blocks north is Place de la Bastille and rue St-Antoine, with many cafés, bakeries, butcher shops, take-out places, and a Monoprix with a grocery section. Your nearest Metro stop is Sully-Morland, on line 7. Alternatively, you can walk a tiny bit further up to Bastille and find lines 1, 5, and 8.

The immediate vicinity around rue Charles is called Village St-Paul. Lots of old buildings (the Hôtel de Sens is very close by) and ground floor shops. I walked through that area each day to pick up bread and felt quite at home.

There have been other posts here about the area. Try a search using "Village Saint Paul" or "Village St Paul" or "rue St Antoine".

I think this area would be ok for first time visitors, but others may be able to suggest alternatives.

Anselm
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM

wonderful area, convenient to a number of metro and bus lines. also, easy walking distance to lots of sites. great for a first-timer...
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM

I am not familiar with that particular street, but I agree it's a fine area and should be a convenient location.

I don't think there are any cons in particular for a first-timer, just those of personal taste in a very general way. I just don't like the Marais very well myself, but lots of people do.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM

As other have pointed out, this is a wonderful area. It is very well located within the city, quiet, yet close to so much. I stayed in a hotel in this area and loved it. You can't go wrong with this location. If you like the apartment then I say book it!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I found this lovely apartment http://www.vrbo.com/174027 and then another one http://www.vrbo.com/116205 which looks to be a few blocks north, on Francs Bourgeois.

Though only a studio, I prefer the one on Rue Charles V.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM

The flat on Charles V looks lovely. Rue FB can get very congested, not to mention you have to go to the hotel for internet access. I would easily choose the first one.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I, too, prefer the one on Charles V. And melissa is right: rue des Francs Bourgeois is very busy.

AA
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

AA - Thank you so much for giving me those details on the area. Very helpful. I've found lots more info by using your search suggestions.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM

chicagodallasgirl,
seeking advice from you if you did end up at #17047.
i am very interested in it for a first time visit with my teen daughter in april
how did it work out for you?
could you e-mail me at [email protected]??
many thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM

ooops! just realized the date of your original post.
i was so jumping the gun. sorry!