Paris rue Elzevir / rue des Francs Bourgeois

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am looking at Paris apts in rue Elzevir and rue des Francs Bourgeois neighborhood for spring/summer family vacation with 2 children, 7 and 10 yrs. Pls advise about this area. As always, many thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I love that area. It's in the Marais. Rue des Francs Bourgeois is lined with interesting shops and a few cafés and restaurants. The streets running perpendicular to it, such as rue Elzévir, are mostly residential. You'd be very close to the delightful Place des Vosges and the Musée Carnavalet.

You'll find lots of bakeries around and things like a Monoprix just south on rue Saint Antoine. You'll be within walking distance of Ile de la Cité and Ile Saint-Louis.

If I found an apartment in that area that I liked, I'd book it.

Anselm
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Topping for susanh, just in case anyone else has any thoughts on this neighbourhood.

AA
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Francs Bourgeois is a very busy street. You need to know if the apartment faces the street or a courtyard. If it is on the courtyard, go for it.

This is an absolutely terrific neighborhood.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM

That is my favorite neighborhood too! As another poster said, make sure that you are on a courtyard, because rue Francs Bourgeois is quite busy.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Dear Susan,

This is "our area" everytime we go to Paris and we love it. I do agree that a bit more checking might be in order. This neighborhood is very busy and very commercial...I'd want to know more about street noise and how far off Francs Bourgeois you would be.

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Susan, street noise can certainly be an issue. A few things to look for, though, when assessing the rental: some apartments have a layout that puts the sitting area on the front, overlooking the street, and the bedroom(s) on the back, overlooking an inner courtyard. (We just rented a place on rue des Petits Champs that is like that. It makes for a very quiet sleep.)

Height above the street makes a difference; a fifth-floor flat is quieter than one on the first. I have also found that some newly-refurbished places have excellent glazing that cuts down street noise.

On the other hand, if the flat has no air conditioning, you might prefer to sleep with a window open, in which case a quiet street or courtyard is a big consideration.

AA
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Really appreciate your hints adn experience.