Paris: Rue Aubriot or Rue de Montmorency

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris: Rue Aubriot or Rue de Montmorency

I found two possible accomodations on Rue Aubriot and Rue de Montmorency. I virtually walked around the neighbourhood using www.pagesjaunes.fr. Rue Aubriot has a lot of graffiti, is that common in Paris? Is that a sign to avoid the area (as it would be in US)?

We're looking for an safe area with restaurants/bistros/cafes with walking distance and close to metro. Of the two, which would be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM

....actually these streets are really almost in the same neighborhood....one is in the 3rd near the forth the other the 4th near the 3rd..i would classify both these streets as being in the marais though i think montmorecy might be classified by the purist as being in the beaubourg..id find little to choose between the 2 in general..as to the specifics, i dont know which is quieter ect..this neighbourhood is trendy (a bit too selfconciously trendy now??) and safe.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:05 PM

There's a nice restaurant on rue Montmorency--Auberge Nicolas Flamel. Other than that, I don't know the street exceptionally well, but it always struck me as rather narrow and dark. It is an old street, with medieval buildings. Still, it's well-situated.

Don't know rue Aubriot at all, so can't help you there. Sorry.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Carcassone, all else being equal, I'd pick rue Aubriot. It's actually in the Marais, just off rue des Francs Bourgeois, very close to the rue des Rosiers and rue Vielle du Temple, all of which have interesting shops and eating places. It's a block from Mariage Frères on rue du Bourg-Tibourg. This is a very lively area and not one to avoid.

Rue Montmorency is closer to the Beaubourg and less interesting, IMO, also a bit farther to walk to the river. In terms of safety, while I know nothing to the detriment of either one, I personally feel safer in the Marais.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Unfortunatly graffit is very common in large cities all over Europe.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:32 PM
ira

Hi Carcassone,

As noted, graffiti shows up all over. It's because French TV is so boring.