Info About Censier-Daubenton area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate an overview of the area surrounding the C-D Metro--perhaps a mile in all directions.

What is the general nature of the neighborhood? What cafes, shops, groceries, restaurants, etc. are we likely to find there?

We are already familiar with the part that includes rue Mouffetard and extends toward the Pantheon, but are unfamiliar with the parts toward Val de Grace, Place d'Italie, and farther east.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM

I stayed in an apt about a block from that metro and like the area a lot. Your request is so broad, though, that I'm afraid I couldn't be that comprehensive -- a mile in all directions is pretty far, going to the Seine one way, and about the peripherique in the south, etc.

It's just a regular middle-class residential neighborhood, generally, I'd say. If you know the part around Mouffetard, that's about it. The area around Val de Grace and east to Censier isn't that different, but you don't have as good transportation or shopping options in that section (there is a bus along rue Claude Bernard, but it isn't frequent at night). There aren't any big grocery stores in that section, but there are a lot of smaller epiceries or patisseries, etc. around Val de Grace and rue St Jacques.

There isn't any big grocery store in that main area that I can think of -- I think the closest is the Monoprix around the Tolbiac metro.

Place d'Italie is a whole different area -- a lot of ugly new cheap buildings, some lower-income/welfare housing in some parts, Chinatown in another direction, you probably know.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Christina. We have rented an apartment on r. Buffon, somewhat closer to the r. Geoffroy-St-Hillaire end than the Gare d'Austerlitz end. If we walk toward the Censier-Daubenton Metro or the Monge Metro, will we find cafes, boulangeries, groceries, etc. or do we need to go farther? Would there be any such shops toward the b. Saint Marcel? Or closer to la gare?
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM

According to Google map searches:

<>Franprix:
93, Rue Monge; 122-124, Rue Mouffetard

<>Monoprix:
13, Avenue Gobelins, 75005

<>Boulangeries:
28, Rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire, 75005
19, Rue Daubenton, 75005
35, Rue Daubenton, 75005
6, Rue Linné, 75005

<>Fromageries:
Androuet - 134, Rue Mouffetard, 75005

<>Vins:
Nicolas - 4, Rue Bazeilles, 75005
Statim Vins - 85, Rue Monge, 75005

<>Alimentaires:
22, Rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire, 75005
<>Creperie:
11, Boulevard St Marcel 75013

There are more along rue Buffon and around the Gare d'Austerlitz
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM

My other tip is:
--put your address into Google map
--search for 'hotels'
--go to Tripadvisor and read the reviews for those hotels nearest your address - you will usually find mention of nearby shops and restaurants
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Travelnut!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM

You might also want to put your address into pagesjaunes and see what the neighbourhood looks like..."walk" down the street.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Michel_Paris!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
tod

Just what I was going to suggest Michael! I love roaming Paris streets that way.

d_claude_bear:

Well, I guess you could have a peek at St-Medard near the metro stop C-D. Goes back to the 15th Century(earlier 7th century church was desroyed by the Norsemen). The nave's 16th century windows have been replaced with contemporary stained glass.
The graveyard has been replaced by a pleasant public garden, but traces of the graveyard door can still be seen at no. 39 Rue Daubenton.
If you walk alongside the garden of the church on rue Censier, turn left into place Bernard-Halpern and rue Monge beyond it and on to rue Daubenton. On your left is the Mosque of Paris, a gem of Moorish architecture - only the very best Moroccan artists and craftsmen were used to decorate it with magnificent tiles and mosaics and drape the walls with rich damask.
A marble fountain and lovely tea treats under the old fig tree make it worth a visit.

Across the street on the corner is the entrance to the Jardin des Plantes. Next to it is an 18th century 'hotel' which served as a residence for the director of the gardens , Buffron. Thomas Jefferson was a dinner guest here several times.
The gardens themselves contain about 10,000 odd species of plants and a 2000 year-old Sequoia tree, and a Cedar of Lebanon brought over fom England in 1734.
In the grounds is the Museum of Natural History and a small zoo.

Val-De-Grace:
This is a must see if you are in the area. It's one of the most important religious monuments of 17th Century France and the only one to be preserved in it's entirety. Can be reached by the no.38 bus that runs along Blvd.Saint-Michel.
Like the Pantheon the history of Val-de-Grace started off with a vow when childless Anne of Austria vowed to build a temple to God should she be granted an heir. A year later in 1638 the future Louis XIV was born and he eventually laid the cornerstone of the future royal abbey.

If you are looking for lunch by now there is a small cafe/restaurant at 25 Rue Des Feuillantines called Le Vin Sobre. I am headed there this May to give it a try. Their website shows lovely photos of their menu.

Hope any of this will help!

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, tod. The "sights" info is helpful. We selected this area to stay in because it differs from places we stayed on our previous three visits.

My original post was directed more specifically at the desire to know what the "street life" (cafes, boulangeries, restaurants, etc.) is like. We will be staying for the month on May in an apartment near the r. Censier -- r. Geoffroy St-Hillaire intersection, so I anticipate many mornings I will be dispatched for breakfast goodies for my slow-awakening wife, as well as late afternoons sipping in a cafe and later finding interesting cuisine.

We expect to explore various areas of Paris each day, but knowing what to expect near our "home base" lets us start anticipating the Paris visit even now.