Reload this Page >

Emerald Deck BF - Privacy Issue?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Kara

My TA is offering a good price for Category BF on the Emerald Deck of Golden Princess (cabins E201-204). I'm concerned about people being able to walk right by our balcony, as it appears the promenade passes by these rooms. There are only four on the ship. Can anyone who's been on Golden please advise?!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:07 PM
NYmom

I also got a great price on a BF cabin on the Star Princess. I was worried about the same issue - lack of privacy. However, we have been upgraded to a BA cabin. I think because there are only 4 of the BF cabins, you *may* get upgraded. It probably depends on when you're cruising.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Kara,<BR><BR>I have yet to see anyone walk by a balcony on any ship. Fly by maybe. You have been watching too many Harry Potter movies.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Kara

No offense, Paul, but you definitely CAN walk by the forward cabins on Golden Princess--the Promenade deck passes right by and a few feet below, as I've learned since my post. According to someone who had one of the cabins, the balcony is at head-or-shoulder height of a walker on the Promenade. However it was pointed out by the same individual that the balcony wasa completely covered overhead, meaning there was more privacy, as there were less people walking by than the hordes that can look down on one's balcony on the other tiered decks with no covering.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Paul Therault

The only veranda cabins on the Golden Princess that have a full roof are the AD Minisuite cabins aft on Emerald deck. No one can walk by these cabins. They hang off the aft part of the ship. You have been given incorrect infomation.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Julia

Hello,<BR><BR>In general, the cruise lines are very good about maintaining very high levels of privacy on cabins with a promenade balcony. I had an oceanview stateroom on a promenade deck and my mother and I spent about 2 hours total, turning lights on and off, standing in front of the window, back by the closets and trying to see into our cabin during the day and at night. The end result of our &quot;research&quot; was that unless you undress right in front of the window, with the blinds open and all stateroom lights on in the evenings, and another guest was standing right in front of the window - it was a moot point. The cabins have reflective covering on the windows and it is extremely difficult and almost impossible to see anything but the vaguest shadows. I think that most of the other guests are probably looking at the beautiful scenery off the ship, too. Finally, you can always close the drapes for a few minutes when you change to be absolutely certain.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Amnon

Paul, you usually post very useful information but you couldn't be more wrong about the Golden. In fact, all the balconies on the ship are fully covered with the exception of the Dolphin Deck (no coverage) and the Caribe Deck (partial coverage).<BR>I have sailed the Golden and its clone, the Grand four times and have jogged around the Promenade Deck close to two hundred times so I consider myself an authority on Cat BF cabins. Kara's information IS correct, Paul. The Promenade deck indeed passes in front of these balconies some two feet lower than the balcony floor. The traffic in this location is relatively light--just some crazy joggers and couples heading to a photo op at the very forward 'I'm King of the World' tip of the ship. The Grand class ships are the only large liners that allow passengers access to this part of the ship as far as I know.<BR><BR>While the balconies are well covered assuring privacy from above, they are also set well back keeping them in constant deep shade, a definite minus for those who like a little sunlight.<BR><BR>If you are getting a great deal, go for it, Kara. These rooms have their problems but they sure beat an inside room. The Golden is a great ship and you will have a great trip in any room.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kara<BR><BR>Not sure if you're still interested in this or not, but I just got off the Star and made it a point to check out the privacy of the BF cabins (I used to be NYmom!!) The promenade goes right by these rooms and as Amnon said the balcony is completely covered. If the price was right -- I'd still go for it and hope for an upgrade.<BR><BR>We had a great cruise!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kara,<BR><BR>We just returned 3/1/03 from the Golden Princes and we stayed in cabin E202. The balcony is completely covered, however anyone walking on the Promenade deck can look up onto your balcony, we greeted many morning walkers while enjoying our coffee. Most people look away when they know your sitting there. It really didn't bother us and there were very few if any people out there after 11 PM. Deck 9 balconies are completly open to be viewed from above, deck 10 is half and half, deck 11 and up are completely covered. It is a beautiful ship and we had a great time. Can't wait to go again. Loved personal choice dining. Go you will love it.