Back of ship cabins

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back of ship cabins

My husband and I have booked a guarantee veranda cabin on the new HAL Noordam. Our cabin assignment came out yesterday. Our cabin is on deck 8 but across the back of the ship. It was quite a bump up but is this good or bad. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM

We have had cabins across the back of the ship a couple of times and absolutely love them. They are particularly nice when leaving the ports and it seems that almost everyone with a balcony across the back of the ship is outside as the ship sails away. Kind of like a private sail away party. Fantastic view.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM

It's not a cabin I would select as my husband has a tendency towards motion sickness and needs to be midships.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Everything I've read leads me to believe that the cabins in question are sought after by some and shunned by others. We've always been midships or there abouts and have never had trouble with motion sickness. Nonetheless, we are looking forward to being aft. If it doesn't work out for us, we'll never do it again. Thanks again for your replies.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM
cd

We're on Hal in May and I tried so hard to get those aft balcony's. I would have taken any floor, but alas, they were all spoken for. You are lucky!
You might want to just tuck some ginger root in your suitcase. If one gets a little seasick, just chew on it. Also, sit on the balcony and look at the horizon. It helps.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Count me in the "love them" group. I haven't found motion to be an issue. the bigger balconies are great. Only downsides for me are that you do get some ash smoke stack (not too big a deal). I also once got a shower as they hosed down the deck above in the middle of the afternoon on the Conquest--not too bright.

But overall, I'd count yourself lucky.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM

We took a room at the very back of the ship once and regretted it. Our father in law ended up having to get the seasickness shot when we hit rough seas. Likewise we took a HAL ship at the very front and the motion was significant, not as bad as the back but we won't do it again either because it was too windy on the balcony and the motion. Hopefully you'll have a smooth ride.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Deck 8 aft on this ship is superb! This is the only deck where the aft balconies are private.

While I agree that motion wise a mid ship may be better, IMO if the weather is great it's a wash and if the weather is rough you will feel it anyway, anywhere.

I am on Deck 8 aft side suite in 2 weeks on HAL and saw the cabin a few weeks ago. No way I would trade and I was offered an upgrade.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kfusto, you made me feel so much more at ease. Now April 5 can't come soon enough. Any chance you're part of the cruise critic roll calls for your sailing?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I posted once to the Roll Call under "caviargal". This is a working cruise for me so my free time is quite limited. I imagine that I will spend most of it on my balcony!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Suerich68

Kaleighsgram,

We will be on the Noordam on 4/5 as well & also looking forward to it. I had a tour of the ship last month, prior to the maiden voyage. The cabins are gorgeous. We had previously sailed on the Zuiderdam last July & loved it. The Noordam is very similar, but of course, has the novelty of being brand new. The new culinary center is gorgeous.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:14 AM
cd

Suerich
We will be on the Zuiderdam for an Alaskan cruise in May, so glad to hear you loved it! Feel free to give me any tidbit of information!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Suerich68

Hi, cd,

If you've ever cruised any of the HAL vista class ships, the Zuiderdam is the same design. Great crew, & we had a terrific cabin steward. Food was excellent. We went to the Pinnacle Grill one night, for probably the best steak dinner we ever had. We cruised the western Caribbean. I'm sure their Alaska cruises are awesome! Have a great time. Pls post when you return.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
cd

Thanks Suerich. This will be our 4th cruise but first cruise with HAL. Looking forward to it!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suerich68 for the info. This will be our first sailing on HAL and we are really looking forward to it. The roll call for this sailing is planning a get-together on Thursday. Look it up on cruise critic and feel free to join us. We have about 60 adults signing on the threads. It's good to know, too, that you enjoyed the Pinnacle Grill as my husband and I already have plans to make reservations.