Insurance when using FF Miles?

Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Insurance when using FF Miles?

If you insure your cruise, what happens if you're using FF miles and the flight is cancelled (or worse yet the airline files bankruptcy etc.) Will the airline still try to get you on the next flight etc. REGARDLESS of the quantity control imposed by the airlines' # of FF seats available on any given flight? We are allowing extra days both pre and post cruise for our Mediterranean cruise so a delay wouldn't affect us. Thanks,
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:25 PM

I would call the insurance company you are considering using. My guess is that policies vary on this since you are not putting a "monetary value" on the air for insurance purposes.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:47 PM

It might depend on the airline, but if you explain you are going on a cruise, they will do their best to get you on a flight.

Most travel insurance will not cover airline FF flights.
Mar 4th, 2003, 01:25 PM

My experience (mostly on Delta) with traveling on FF award tickets is that the airlines are fairly accomodating when it comes cancellations or schedule changes on their part. In this case, I don't think the capacity restrictions on FF seats apply. I've traveled with a party of 6 all on FF tickets where our flight was cancelled and they rebooked us on another carrier getting us to our destination the same day (but later in the day than our originally scheduled flight). Since you've allowed extra days coming and going, this shouldn't be a problem.

I have no experience with FF tickets and airline bankruptcy though.
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Patsy-
I am not sure about whether insurance covers you for tickets that you did not purchase...

We used Frequent Flyer points on Delta to do the Med--and left to go over to Italy 2 days ahead of time to give ourselves plenty of wiggle room in case something happended, like late flights or lost luggage....We normally do that when we use Frequent Flyer points, and normally use FF points to go to Europe ( to fly Business Class).
Delta bent over backwards to both change connection points due to possible problems in our meeting our original connecting cities...
I know they would also help you if there any other problems you could possibly run into---ie. they would try tp put you on the next outbound flight...
That is why you need to allow a couple of extra days at the beginning of vacation to get to Europe...

As far as working around a bankruptcy- NO airline has to take up the slack for the airline that goes down the tubes, but most airlines will still TRY to accomodate you....

Which airline are you flying on?

If ANYTHING happens, make sure you go up to the desk ( or if it happens before you leave home- CALL the airlines direct and ask to speak to a supervisor)and ask for a supervisor and explain you are trying to link up with a cruise ship------they are usually very very receptive in trying to help.
Just keep cool and ask nicely- and trust me, they will help.

We were flying to FLL for a cruise during the Atlanta terrorist screwup ( where the guy jumped the security checkin to get his camera)....Luckily we allowed ourselves 2 days to get to FLA........( with paid tkts)...Entire airport was shut down...Delta got us out on the next available flight when I showed them my cruise docs and literally begged nicely ( and the gate agent was ready to call the cops on a super nasty demanding traveller)...So , just act really nice...Sugar goes a long way, esp.in a Southern Airport...LOL