Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it better to have frequent flier miles OR airline tickets if a airline declares bankruptcy?

Is it better to have frequent flier miles OR airline tickets if a airline declares bankruptcy?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:01 PM
Boots

Just asking..... My husband and I have been banking frequent flier miles with a certain airline for two years. The airline is having financial trouble and we plan on taking a trip next summer using the miles. Does anyone have an opinion on whether we should get tickets now (I know when we're traveling) or hold on to the frequent flier miles in case they merge with another airline? Any input is appreciated- thanks!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:13 PM
Ariel

Boots, all the majors are having finacial problems right now to some degree. The only ones that aren't are Jet Blue and Southwest. That said, the government isn't going to let one of the majors go under for the simple reason that our economy is dependent on the airlines. AA, USAir, UA, Delta, Continental, and their subsidiaries won't go under overnight.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:11 PM
Susieq

ttt

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:48 AM
gail

Who really knows? My best guess is that if 2 airlines merged completely, they would be equal. But then flight/routes might change.

What has happened in past with some minor airlines is that they are broken up, with several different airlines bidding for their routes and gates. (Like Eastern many years ago). In that case, I would think chances are not as good with either ticket or miles.

Many of us are in same boat - have seen several posts on this over past months. A guarantee of some sort would be nice, but not realistic to get. A lot of people are using up miles now if they can rather than risk it. (We are not - are still hoping to use 200,000 miles for family trip to Europe next summer - and will book tickets as soon as we can)

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:52 AM
Jim Rosenberg

While it's not something that I carry myself or am in a position to recommend, people may be interested to know that there is actually a type of insurance available for this:

http://www.privilegeflyer.com/awardguard/