Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

In case of an emergency, is one better off not having FF tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are holding FF segments (and are waitlisted for others) for a trip to Europe this Fall. It's a long story but I am having a difficult time making these FF tickets work for us (illegal connection, minimal connection times, tough getting out of my hometown, etc.) There is a little voice in my head that says I should just pony up and buy tickets. I can always use the miles later... Yeah, my DH won't be happy, but I can live with that!

What I was wondering today is if we have to come home early for a family emergency (which could well happen), will Delta be more forgiving and change our flights if we have paid for our tickets than they would if we used FF tickets?

If so, this might be the argument that tips my decision.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Don't know about DL in particular, but in general, award tickets can be changed, and in fact the change fees are often lower than a regular ticket.

Patty probably have more specific information about DL award tickets.

The disadvantage of award tickets is that if the flight was canceled due to mechanical or weather, you're the last to be re-accommodated. And the airline usually won't put you on another airline in that situation, so you have to wait it out.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Typically the ability to change your return without additional fee would depend on the availability of the same fare class - in other words, there must be a reward seat available on the flights to which you wish to change. If there is a possibility of such an emergency you may want to consider travel insurance (read the terms to be sure you would have the coverage you need.)
Though Delta often gets a bad rap, I must say that in a family emergency situation a couple years back (not involving FF tix) they were the best. Not sure if it was just good luck in hitting an empathetic agent or what, but they worked with us to get last minute international tickets at very reasonable rates.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I've never had to make a last minute change on an award ticket due to an emergency so not sure what they'll do. My guess is that if it's really a true emergency, they'll work to reaccomodate you on Delta operated flights (assuming the city you need to fly out of is served by Delta) as they can override award capacity if necessary, but that's just a guess on my part.

Seamus brought up a good point about travel insurance. Most comprehensive policies include a provision for a one way economy ticket home (up to the policy $ limit) as part of the trip interruption coverage. You need to make sure you understand exactly what qualifies as a covered reason and if it's a medical issue, you need to purchase the insurance within 7-21 days (depending on the policy) of making your first trip payment in order to waive pre-existing medical conditions. Read the fine print carefully.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM

as posted by <b>rkkwan</b>,

<i>The disadvantage of award tickets is that if the flight was canceled due to mechanical or weather, you're the last to be re-accommodated. And the airline usually won't put you on another airline in that situation, so you have to wait it out.</i>

I have to respectfully disagree with the above statement. The GAs always look for the <b>easiest</b> bump in case of overbooking. In case of mechanicals, weather, it's who is in line first, whether it's on the phone or actually at the airport. I can't tell you about CO or DL but AA will put you on another airline if that's the only option left, regardless if it's revenue or award ticket.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:00 AM

AAFF - I based my experience on my own experience on DL and many others' on CO.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. As always, there is no obvious answer. I have been so frustrated trying to get these FF tickets to work out, sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and buy tickets outright. I was hoping one of you might tip the balance for me. No such luck!

So, I guess the next step for me is to look at Travel Insurance. I have not bought it since DH's parents died. Never seemed to be a need.

Now, we are looking at leaving town during hurricane season, one predicted to be active. We are also traveling without our daughter for the first time. She will stay here at home with her grandmother. I worry a bit more than I would during another season.

I suppose I'll continue to struggle with DL and buy the insurance, pray for good weather and hope to get a benevolent agent across the desk or phone line if anything hits the fan.