Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Interior Porthole or Window w/Obstructed View

Aug 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Pricing out a Carnival cruise. Hubby likes oceanview room but I'm never there so I like interior cabin and the less expensive cost. Have found Interior cabin with picture window on a top deck but in the very front of the ship, an interior port window (4J) on the lowest deck in the very front or an oceanview room in the front or back of the ship. Since we always previously booked an interior room we were always in the middle of the ship. Does anyone know anything about the interior with porthole cabins orinterior with obstructed view window and exactly what you can see out of them and how smooth was the trip? Thanks.
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM

The smoothest part of the ship will always be the center of the ship and on the lowest deck. Cabins in the far front or back will always have more up and down motion. Obstructed view windows means just that -- obstructed -- generally by life boats or some ship structure. Light will come in but not view of any type.
Sep 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM

What is "interior porthole"? Is it a newer ship that has windows into the centrum?
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM

Cabins with portholes are outside, not inside and are located in front of the ship. Some of them have 2 portholes. I cruised once in a very front cabin, not with window though, and didn't find anything wrong with it. For those who are prone to sickness it may indeed be better to stay in midhip.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM

"Cabins with portholes are outside, not inside and are located in front of the ship."

I thought so, portholes are outside, maybe the OP just missed the comma?

We had a porthole cabin, and let me assure you, we were in the middle of the ship. Portholes are usually on the lower levels. We didn't feel any difference except the porthole is a smaller window (and lower price!)

When we had obstructed view, we were lucky the windows of the boat outside our window were aligned exactly with our window, so we got "tunnel vision" like looking through a looking glass One day they took it off for tender waking us up early. We will try to avoid that.

So in the order of preference FOR US:
1) window or porthole, no difference, more important to be lower in the middle
2) obstructed - we'll try to avoid
3) inside cabin - NO! we need to feel some connection with the outside
Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM

We have had the cabin you are talking about a few times. It is a handicapped cabin, with a HUGE bathroom, and if if it is requested they will move you. There are two smaller closets, one with 4 smaller drawers. They consider it inside because you look out on a deck, not the port. Even had it last week on the Liberty.! And we have it for our B2B in November. We are/were on deck 9. However, the cabin between ours and the one other on here is VERY tiny even same price. There is a small dack out side the window. We call this our balcony even though we have to leave the cabin to get to it.
But on deck 10 in the same location the cabin has a sofs and pull down bed.
We are boat people so love it when the boat rocks. Here you are more apt to feel it so if you get seasick, its not for you. I may have a picturre I can email you of this cabin (9-203). Email me at [email protected], subject Carnival.
We have also had obstructed view cabins. We chose cabins sort of between the lifeboats. we didn't have a 180' view but did have a view.
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bonnie this is exactly what I wanted to know. jk