Search

Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Jane

Cell Phones

Will cell phones work on a cruise near your home town port? Has anyone brought their cell phones?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Techydude

Depends on your carrier and their coverage area. I have had them work as far as 30 miles offshore near Florida.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Lynn

My daughter left for a cruise last Sunday(1-12-03)out of Miami and I spoke to her on her cell phone as she walked on to the ship. Havent heard from her since though...

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Diane

Anyone have any experience using a cell phone while sailing inside passage of Alaska?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:52 PM
abc

&quot;Has anyone brought their cell phones&quot;???<BR><BR>Yes,yes, yes they work and everyone brings them. Can't get away from peoples inane cell conversations.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Theresa

I have Sprint and Sprint doesn't have any PCS coverage in Alaska (at least they didn't last summer).<BR><BR>I used my cell phone in Alaskan ports but was charged a nice roaming charge of about .70/minute. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Paul Therault

I use Cingular who stated that their phones will work in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico but when I attempted to call I was unsuccessful since (according to the operator) I needed some type of code. I called Cingular and it is like talking to the wall.<BR><BR>If you plan on calling you can rent a phone from I Hear You 1-877-746-6351. It is rather expensive unless you plan to make a ton of calls and then it is a bargain compared to calling from the ship or even on the islands with a calling card.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:43 PM
frankt18

I have Verizon (not America's Choice but the other national plan). I chose it specifically because this was the only service to show complete local coverage of Alaska. We were in Alaska July-Aug 2002 and I used it to call my daughter in Long Island, NY in all the ports in the inside passage, and it worked fine. I was really amazed when I used it in Princess Mckinley Wilderness Lodge way out in the interior of Alaska and the service was excellent. I may be sounding like a rep for Verizon (I am not!) but I just wanted to let you know that their signal reached into the wilds of Denali State Park.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Roy

I have Cingular. I called home (Baltimore)while sitting on our balcony while docked at St. Thomas.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:18 PM
xxx

Has anyone used T-Mobile? We have shared and unlimited mobile to mobile, and wondered if we could use it on the ship to locate each other, assuming it's in a coverage area. We'd use it on the West Coast.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Petlover

I have Cingular (live in California); anyone know if this works in Alaska?? Thanks!

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use At&amp;T took my cell fone to Europe and it worked!!! But only with countries that they have an agreement with. If the ship is near a port or if you can see land then the cell fone works. I even received text messages. I used the cell fone on an Alaska cruise as well.