Search

1st. time Mediterranean Cruisers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st. time Mediterranean Cruisers

Hello Everyone,
There are a lot of questions and responses about the Mediterranean cruises but I'm looking to find out about the best time of year to go. Like in the Caribbean, I would not go during hurricane season. Is there a 'rough water season' or hurricane season in the Mediterranean?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:35 AM

There is no hurricane season in The Med.
Only during the months July and August it will be hot and humid. Also many tourists everywhere (and long lines, crowded beaches) as most schools in European countries are closed.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:41 AM

We just got back from cruise to the med in July. There are alot of families on these cruises, I found out. We went on NCL and there were 700 children (all ages).

It was a great cruise for it being our first. I'm looking forward to doing another in the Eastern Med next year.

It was very hot. We did not have one bit of rain the entire trip.

It was smooth as glass sailing. Didn't feel like we were moving, really.

You'll enjoy it!!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM

We have found that October is ideal..few if any kids, great itineraries, cost is less and the best deal.. is the trans-atlantics. Fortunately,, we never had a rough day in the Med. We are going again this year in December...cant wait
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM

You don't mention if you have children, but if you don't - May is an amazing time for a Med cruise. All the flowers are out, no huge tourist volume - and the weather is perfect....
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow. I was really impressed with the responses. This is a great website to get your questions answered. Thanks to all of you who responded and your well wishes. We can't wait to go on this cruise. It's just my husband and I and maybe a few friends. I think Sept '08 will be our target. Thanks again.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

You may wish to go to cruisecritic.com. They really answered alot of questions for me. You can also do a roll call to see who else is going to be on your cruise and you can meet up.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

I have not cruised in the Mediterranean but I have travelled there. My advice is spring or fall - NOT the summer. I just find the summers there too warm for me. I had a marvellous vacation in Greece at the end of March - perfect 'walking around' weather and a great time in Rome in April. For those who really love the heat, summers would be OK.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM

Our Med. cruise began the end of July and into August. And it was pretty hot. You will be active on shore so take that into consideation. If the heat doesn't bother you or isn't a concern then go for it. However even for me, who walks 18 holes of golf when its 90F it was pretty hot. Just an FYI. Oh well the gelato was pretty cold. Cheers, Larry