Are there any Adults Only cruise ships?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense to anyone with kids, but as a teacher when I go on vacation I like to avoid herds of children! Are there any cruise lines/ships that are adults only?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Celebrity in the past has had a few sailings that was "adults only". I am not sure if they still do this or not.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Of course the first criteria is to book a cruise while the kids are in school. However if this is not possible for a teacher, I would check out both Celebrity and Holland America. Each claim to have childrens' programs, but do not make it a point to be a family cruise line. Another hint would be to do a cruise that is perhaps "out of the ordinary" such as a European venture or a repositioning one between the US and Europe. We have done 3 trips on Celebrity and 3 more on HAL and you could count the children on one hand each time. Good luck
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:17 PM

It is unfortunate that those of us who choose not to have children are indeed sometimes discriminated against. I heard/read somewhere there are about 4 adult-only cruises per year. That may be on Celebrity, but I'm not certain.

Good luck!

In my experience; the longer the cruise, time of year and itinerary are major factors which is why we're doing a 12-nighter in Europe in August.

I pity any kids in the "adult-only" hot-tub!

Happy Travels!!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:45 PM
DerekD

Holland America had 100 children on board when I took an Alaskan cruise last July. It seemed like alot. I would also like to know about adult only cruises.

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies so far. Obviously, being a teacher, I'm not a child hater, but when I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation. Of course the irony is that I can only vacation when all the children are on vacation! (Case in point, I could not believe how many children were in Vegas at Christmas time!!!) Anyway, thanks for the ideas!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Seabourn has had very few children on the cruises I have taken - at most two or three, and they were very well-behaved. Lines like Seabourn that have no children's or teens' programs are less likely to attract families.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Radisson, Silvesea or Seabourn would be your best bet IMO.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I know of an adults only cruise with Celebrity on the Mercury this Dec. 27-Jan. 7, 2005. It's a Mexican Riviera cruise. I don't mean to advertise here but contact your local AAA because it's through our group space which means better savings.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:13 PM

rainbowfish==

You can also call Windstar Cruise Line-
It is a small 4 masted sailing yacht..
the 2 smaller ships hold 110 passengers and the Windsurf,which we went on, holds 330 people...

You didn't say if you were single or a couple..If you are single , I would avoid the Windsurf as when we did it, there were only 2 single women -each with an adult child- and the rest were all couples...

Being a small ship, it is more intimate, and you meet a lot of nice people..It is also country club casual-
No need for hubs to have a coat and tie--Polo shirt and khakis are all he needs for dinner..Women only need a sundress or slax and a silk shirt...It is elegant but not pretentious...Dining is open seating so you can come and dine anywhere between 6-9pm.

We did the Western Med but this line also does great unusual SMALL ports in the Caribbean in the Winter.

The back of the ship drops down and has complimentary water sports at their floating marina..

You will LOVE this line!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Ironically, I actually think I can answer this. I was looking for the reverse, luxury cruises with kids, but I came to the conclusion that they don't exist. As a result, we went on a different vacation. The high end lines rarely get children because there is nothing for them. I would suggest Radisson or Windstar, both are well priced, Windstar being the better and both have nothing to attract children. There are better informed posters about Radisson, they have referenced a deal where you buy one and one cruises free. According to other posters after you are done paying for all the extras Radisson is basically the same cost. Have a great vacation, teachers go to heaven!