european cruise in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked a Mediterranean cruise with my family in August. Now I'm reading that because the people there vacation in August, many shops and restaurants will be closed and the areas around the beaches full of traffic jams. Has anybody else done this cruise? Should I cancel while i still can?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM

not just that, but July and August are very HOT months in Europe. I am going in June but I heard that May and September are the best months to go. I would try to reschedule it if you can.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM

We went on a Med cruise in August and boy was it hot.
Venice was so crowded that you eith stepped on a tourist or a pigeon in St Marks square, line to get in places were very, very long. Once you got back away from the Grand canal it was better.
The beaches were packed and traffic was like big cities at rush hour.
I said never again.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Be wise if you reschedule your vacation. Remember, much of your enjoyment will be had on the ship. If you pay a lot more to reschedule for ..say June and then find the crowds are just as bad, this could be of less value. It is true that many Europeans holiday in August, but right around the cruise ports most things will be open. You will find small B & Bs and restaurants close up for a couple weeks then, but you will not have a problem finding good food! I would agree September is lovely, but if you can't swing that- I might stay with what you have.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM

We are taking a Med. cruise in July. We have taken 2 others in July. I'm a teacher, so this is what we have to do.

It isn't any hotter at that time than any place in the U.S. The crowds were not a problem. I have friends who took this cruise in May and Sept., and the evening weather was cool. Take the cruise!! (It was 118 in Cairo when we were there--THAT was hot!)
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:06 AM

The bed time for the MED is Sept and Oct..May tends to rain..

June is ALSO a good summer alternative to cruising the MED.
I would NEVER go on a MED cruise in AUG both due to weather and every other human being in Europe going on holiday.
|

As far as the cruise experience in the MED being the main thing...ARE YOU FOR REAL?? The reason for a MED cruise is to give you taste of all the ports so you can decided where to go back to at a later date for a longer time period..

I would NEVER consider the SHIP as the reason I were doing the MED--better still, I determine the ports that the ship goes into and what there is to do in the ports---that is the experience you will take home with you..

Consider the ship your floating hotel where you don't have to pack and unpack daily while you see these wonderful sights..