which island is best for our tastes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a Caribbean vacation for the week of July 4th. I am not quite sure which island would be best for us. We are looking for a relatively quiet island which isn't terribly touristy. And another important factor is safety. We would like to be able to explore whatever island we are on and not feel trapped to our resort. Finally, an island with ideal weather for July. Any suggestions would be very appreciated! Thank you!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:14 AM

St.Barts, Vieques and Culebra,Anguilla, Barbuda, Cat or Harbour Islands in Bahamas might all work for you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:39 AM

I second the votes for any of the Out Islands of the Bahamas (adding Abaco to your consideration). Not only are these lovely, relatively untrammeled islands, but they are incredibly safe. Many (most?) places, you don't even lock the doors of where you are staying, and -- should you have a car -- picking up hitch-hikers is customary.

July is a good time to visit the Bahamas. While an early season hurricane is not foreclosed, it would be highly unlikely. And there's no chance of cold fronts giving you a chill. Steady trade winds keep things comfortable -- I'd rather be in the islands in July than in the mid-Atlantic.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:36 AM
bosco

Also consider Nevis. The weather is great in July - not too hot and there are otehr things to do outside the resort. Touring the old plantation inns, hiking the rainforest, numerous water activities, etc.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I have some researching to do! I haven't even heard of a lot of those places
Thanks for the suggestions! And if anyone else has ideas, please share!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:49 AM

I would add Anegada, northernmost of the BVI's. Only 150 or so people on the entire island. Beaches where you are only one on it, but don't have to worry about being alone. Nothing to do as far as shopping or nightlife, but wonderful place to relax.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:56 AM

You've received some excellent suggestions on places to go especially the Bahama Out Islands such as the Abacos. Also will suggest the eastern side of St. John, Coral Bay area. The beaches other than Trunk are not very touristy at all.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

I would also recommend the Outislands. We have been to Great Guana Cay in the Abacos quite a few times. It sounds what you are looking for and absolutely safe. There are maybe 150 people living on the island. Definitely safe.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Tortola in the British Virgin Islands would be my suggestion. You can fly to St. Thomas & take a ferry there or fly to San Juan & take a small plane there.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Quiet, safe, not terribly touristy, able to explore and not feel trapped to the resort....

If these are your criteria, consider the East End or North Coast of Grand Cayman.

For examples of what you can explore, see this brand new tour operator, www.ecoventures.ky

BTW, I run The Reef (in East End), but am recommending the area in general. I also have no commercial interest in EcoVentures, but do support their efforts, I think it is a very exciting idea that will be very successful.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the continued suggestions! I have to say, even though only one person recommended this island, I am leaning towards Anguilla. For people that have been there or know a great deal about Anguilla, does this sound like a good choice for me? Also, considering the weather for July. Thank you everyone!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Anguilla is fantastic if your priorities are one spectacular beach after another and some very good restaurants. (I would highly recommend Altamer.) It is not lush, but rather dry with lots of scrub. But the beaches are bar none and some of the friendliest people we have ever come across in our travels. I don't know if you have decided on where to stay, but we thoroughly enjoyed the Carimar Beach Club on Meads Bay. Lovely, fully-appointed units with well-stocked kitchens for breakfast on the patio. I would urge you to rent a car while on Anguilla since many of the most beautiful, desolate beaches should be explored. As far as safety, no problems. Enjoy!!!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 12:34 PM
sp

Have you considered Bermuda?? Bermuda is definitely relatively quiet - the resorts are not the typical 'wild all-inclusive type' - generally, there will be calypso music, or a small band or piano by the pool. The island is about as safe as you can get - you will never have people trying to sell you stuff on the beach (I could never go anywhere like that again). As for exploring, this is the main reason why you will never be a beach bum in Bermuda. There are crystal caves to see, nature trails along the south shore public beaches which you can go horseback riding on, the old railway trail which is popular for walking and biking, climb the stairs at the lighthouse and have lunch in their tearoom. You can also visit the botanical gardens, museums, craft markets and there are numerous restaurants/pubs to choose from. Lots of shopping. There are 3 areas where the cruise ships dock - one at the very west end and the same for the east end & one in the middle. You can hop on a ferry at all of these points and more for only a few dollars - and if you have a scooter with you, they can be taken on the ferry. There are dinner cruises you can go on - the one at night is especially nice, you will be on a glass-bottom boat & you will get to see sunken ships. As for the 4th of July, they cater to Americans - always fireworks. The weather at that time will be hot, but not unbearable and the ocean will be in the low 80's. If you go to tripadvisor.com you will see tons of reviews on resorts. Pompano Beach Resort is very romantic, the friendliest service - the owners cater to everybody & even call you be name, fabulous dining with unbelievable sunset views, and the ocean there is like being in an enourmous pool. Huge expanse of crystal-clear, calm water, waist-deep for a few hundred yards. Bermuda has a special allure and its beauty will leave you breathless.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

SusanLynne: Thank you so much for your report on Anguilla. Sounds right up our alley! At the moment I'm debating between Carimar and Frangipani.

sp: Yes, Bermuda is wonderful. My husband and I were there about a year and a half ago. We traveled there by cruiseship. We hated the cruise but loved the island! We will return there again one day so thank you for the hotel recommendation!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Mrs B: The Carimar is practically next door to Frang, which looked lovely. The expert on Frang is HowardC, a frequent poster here on Fodors. If you do a search, you will find many of his postings. Carimar does not have a restaurant on the premises, nor do the rooms have TV's. Just a heads up on that. It didn't matter to us, but to some others it might make a difference. As for the island itself, it is not lush or green. But its beaches are stunning, its people friendly, the island itself is safe and Anguilla is just an overall wonderful vacation destination for those seeking R&R. Wherever you end up staying, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Make sure you and your husband plan for dinner at Altamer, a great place for romance and good food. Have a wonderful time!