Search

Barbados or Hawaii??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados or Hawaii??

Okay, my husband and I have narrowed our 2nd anniversary vacation down to two places: The Big Island or Barbados. Very different, and on opposite coasts, so I'd love your opinions. If you think someplace ELSE would be better, let us know!!!

Our priorities:

-- Great beaches
-- Lots of natural beauty
-- Good pool
-- Ability to order drinks either to the beach or pool
-- Nice, romantic, luxury resort
-- Other things to do besides sit by the pool (water sports, hiking, exploration)
-- Good restaurants
-- Some nightlife, but doesn't have to be great. A few bars and good restaurants will do.

Here are the pros and cons as we see them:

Big Island (staying at Fairmont Orchid): Never been on the big island, but have already been to Kauai once and Maui twice. We're flying from California, so it's a much shorter flight, and we only have a week to relax and take our vacation. We both have such stressful jobs, our one week is at a premium. There's a lot to do on Hawaii, and we've never seen a volcano. And it's a lot less expensive, given the ridiculous airfares to Barbados right now. Very romantic, but the Big Island is kid friendly, so it makes me wonder if we could just go there with kids later?

Barbados (staying at Fairmont Royal Pavilion): It looks so romantic! We've never been to the Caribbean, and we haven't gotten to travel much. We were both very poor our whole lives until recently, so while all our friends were traveling or studying abroad, we weren't. Never been to (continental) Europe. Never been anywhere, except the UK and Hawaii. We're itching to go somewhere new. BUT, the flights are *ridiculous* right now ($800-900 each) and we'd spend 2 days flying. All in all, we figure the Barbados trip sets us back $1000 more than Hawaii-- Is it worth it? On the other hand, we've never seen clear water like in Barbados, we love waterskiing, and the night life sounds awesome.

OKAY-- TELL US WHERE TO GO!!!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM

You,want to experience Hawaii[ecspecially the big island]without the kids,atleast the first time!I really don't know about Barbados,it get's mixed reviews on here.But the big island rocks,it's just beautiful!If I would guess unlike anywhere else.It is different than Kaui,or Maui,Go for Hawaii!!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Given all your specifics I'd recommend the Orchid on the Big Island.
My reasons for recommending BI are 1)the extra expense for you to go to Barbados is not justified by the amenities the island offers over the BI, 2)Big Island is a really unique place and should be on your list of must sees anyway, 3)the time lost travelling to/from Barbados is going to eat up a big chunk of your precious week.
Downsides to Big Island: the beach at the Orchid is decent but small and somewhat forgettable. Quiet and swimmable. There's very little else in the way of restaurants and activity in the vicinity and the Big Island feels remarkably big when it comes to drive times.
The Orchid was built as a Ritz Carlton (I first stayed there the year it opened). It's a very nice hotel, not quite as nice as the best in Hawaii, but not far down the list either.

If you had more time and cost was not an issue, I'd have recommended the Caribbean.

For your goals, I would not put Barbados on the very top of my list for Caribbean islands to visit, though it's worth the effort to visit. You should look at St. Barth's, St. John, Bermuda (in the Atlantic) and don't ignore Anguilla even though it lacks the lushness you're looking for. Most of the Big Island certainly does not qualify as lush and beautiful. In the Orchid's area most of the natural landscape is black, volcanic, rocky and parched looking.

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM

When are you going?

I'm planning a trip in September, and dreaming of Maui, but thinking I'll settle for the Caribbean (much cheaper for us since we're in DC). I love Bonaire for the diving, and the desert look, but I wouldn't call it lush (although the underwater world certainly is.)

What about Bermuda? Bermuda is lush, romantic, relaxing, and only 2-3 hours from most east coast airport hubs. It is expensive, and I haven't been since Isabel, but I was there in late September of 2002 and it was fabulous. The "cottage colonies" and hotels like the Princess are gorgeous.

We saved money by staying at a charming (very British) apartment we found on http://www.bermudagetaway.com/. It was in a real neigborhood on the bay near Hamilton. We had to take taxis into town, but we loved being able to cook our own meals, since food is so expensive on Bermuda. There is a great gourmet grocery store in Hamilton.

The beaches, water, snorkelling, diving and scenery were gorgeous. Less of a hike than Barbados if you want an Atlantic experience.

Or, save your travel time and money for a big Europe trip with the kids, and just jump over to Hawaii for your own down-time.

Remember- wherever you go- It's vacation! Whether Big Island or Barbados- It's better than the office!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM

St.John does sound like it would fit the bill,we're taking our first trip there this year.What about Grenada?Wherever you go more than likely you'll be happy!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM

The area where the Royal Pavilion is located is the nice part of the island, inland it's ugly. It's a coral island and not much grows in that stuff.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra expense and time for Barbados. If you only have 5-7 days I would go for Hawaii.

If you really want to go somewhere else near the east coast, Bermuda is a very short flight from NYC and I would recommend flying into Newark unless there is another better route. If you can afford the cost of The Reefs, I think you would be blown away, Pompano being my second choice.

http://www.thereefs.com/reefs/home.html
http://www.pompano.bm/
http://server2.ezboard.com/bbermudashortsforum

St. Barts is a little more of a challenge to get to since you have to fly into St. Martin then ferry or fly on a 10 min. commuter to St. Barts which adds costs.

http://www.wiol.com/st-bart/deals.html
http://www.sbhonline.com/

With the time difference it really eats into your vacation time. You are going to lose a day each way. On the other hand, you work hard and deserve to reward yourselves for a job well done. If you have a week plus the weekends on either side of the week, you have 10 days, that's doable for Caribbean. Also I think you'll find that Caribbean resorts can be more expensive than Hawaii if you can believe that. On the other hand, you could go to the Big Island anytime since it's so much closer and I hear they have some great sale deals quite often.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and hope you have a wonderful vacation wherever it happens to be.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

This is all wonderful information, and has given me so much to think about! I'm going to have my husband read everything you all say and see what he thinks. And I've added Bermuda to the possibilities-- frankly, I never considered it because it wasn't in the book I had! Ha! I checked, and as you all said, the flights to Bermuda from California are *much* more reasonable, and actually cheaper than flights to Hawaii from California, which is bizarre. You've given me a lot to think about, and I'll keep checking back tonight for any other replies or thoughts that people have. And of course, I'll post when we decide. These boards are great-- used them for my honeymoon and our trip to the UK and found them accurate and very useful!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM

here's my caifornian 2 cents. the big island is very big for a first time trip of just one week. if the point is to see the volcano, based at the orchid, you will be driving at least 2 hours, each way. you might want to consider an overnight in volcano for the full experience- the best way to see the lava is to hike at night.
if you are after sparkling water and relaxation and you are starting on the west coast, i would like to further confuse you by suggesting tahiti. it's a couples type place. the snorkeling is superb, the water is flat and baby blue and warm, and so full of fish you won't need a mask to see them. oh and the coral is actually alive! the best resorts are posh and indulgent and romantic and without kids, this is the time to visit. a direct nonstop flight from lax will get you there in 9 hours.
just another thought- cost wise, for what you will pay at the orchid (unless you are employyes of fairmont) you will be getting more bang for your buck in tahiti and a unique kid-free locale that you won't be able (or want to) visit en famile.
enjoy!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM

lukesaunt, on The Reefs website they show a tiny advert for USA3000 offering new Baltimore to Bermuda flights at $79 one way. That might work if you could fly into Baltimore from LAX. Don't know how much of a problem that would be but might be worth looking into:

http://www.thereefs.com/reefs/hot_news.html#usa3000
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Hey, everyone!

Such great information!! So, here's what we decided: We're going to the Big Island for this trip, because it is so short. We're going to save the Caribbean for sometime when we have 2 weeks. I've written down all your suggestions about other islands and such, and am going to use them then! Tahiti was a contendor but we couldn't find what we were looking for in terms of hotel and airfare, so we ruled it out, but it's on our list, too. We are moving in a year, and if we stay on the west coast, Tahiti will probably be next and if not, then the Caribbean. Either way, we are planning to take 3-4 weeks to take our first trip to continental Europe in June 2005. I'm psyched about that.

Thank you for all your help planning this and other vacations! I'll post a trip report on the Hawaii board when I return.

Sherry
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Sherry, congratulations on making a decision. You will succeed in biz just fine. I agree with your decision and know you will enjoy the Big Island. The lava flow both liquid and hardened is like being in another world. You will love all the orchid farms around the island.

Going the the Big Island you won't be stressed about extending yourselves too far and will just have fun. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Karen
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:19 PM

You don't say (sorry, unless I missed it) when this trip is happening. Without knowing that I would say the Big Island is a better choice. Bermuda is wonderful, but is most definitely NOT a tropical destination. While marketers might not advertise it, Bermuda is after all off the coast of North Carolina where it gets quite nippy in winter! I've been twice in April and loved it, but a "beach day" (as in warm enough to go into the water) was a rare and all-too-elusive pleasure. I know of folks who've gone in December or January wanting warmth who've been tragically disappointed...
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:15 AM

I agree, the Big Island is an good choice. I've been to Bermuda in Sept. and there is a chance of high winds. I remember sitting on the beach and having sand blowing constantly. Bermuda is wonderful, but the best months are June, July and beginning of August.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and will want to go back to Hawaii in the future.