HELP! Which caribbean island if we love Hawaii?

Feb 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

HELP! Which caribbean island if we love Hawaii?

My husband and I moved to the east coast from Southern California and we love Hawaii. We are looking to travel to a caribbean destination but don't know where to begin - HELP! In Hawaii, we loved snorkeling, touring the islands, enjoying good food, beaches, sunset cocktails, etc. Thanks in advance!
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Ah, Hawaii. Love it too! Which island/islands in Hawaii are you looking for the feel of? St. Lucia is a lot like a "mini Kauai". We loved both places (southern St. Lucia by the pitons is similar to the Napali Coast on a much smaller scale).

Nevis looks a lot like Mauai (although I haven't been to Nevis) with the volcano rising up out of the center.

Welcome to exploring the Caribbean-there are plenty of beautiful islands there!
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Another vote for St. Lucia, absolutely.
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM

I recommend Nevis as a great Caribbean destination that reminds me of Hawaii.

We are huge fans of Kauai as we feel that it is much the way Hawaii used to be before all the tourism started. Nevis, too, is a wonderful island. The people are very warm and friendly. It's our second favorite Caribbean island and very relaxing.

Feb 18th, 2009, 05:49 AM
KVR

I also agree with St. Lucia. It will not be as commericialized or as metropolitian as Maui or Ohau. Also maybe Grenada.

Feb 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM

St. John is a bit of Kauai lite. Hiking, greenery,turtles...
Feb 18th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Check out the Four Seasons, Nevis is fantastic...
Feb 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Hi Knowing,

What is your first favorite Caribbean island?
Feb 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM

My husband and I moved to the east coast from CA about 4 years ago and had the same dilemma. We tried a few islands in the Caribbean and none really seem like Hawaii, however we have fallen in love with St. John. It's different than Hawaii, but it has nice beaches, snorkeling, and hiking. Check out Caneel Bay.
Feb 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM

If you love touring around several islands then I'd definitely recommend the Virgin Islands. Many of the British and U.S. Virgin Islands are clustered within easy reach of each other and yet offer different experiences.
Feb 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM

What about island hopping?? Checkout two or three islands in one trip! That would be cool!
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
KVR

You can fly to St. Thomas and then take the ferry over to St. John. You can also book a tour/charter and go to some of the BVI's like Marina Cay and Jost Van Dyke. The St. John experts can give you more info.

From St. Lucia you can fly to either Martinique or to St. Vincent in the Grenadines.

We are planning on Barbados next year and looking into flights to Grenada and The Grendines/Tobago Cays.

From Aruba you can fly to Curacao or Bonaire.

From Cancun you can take the ferry to Isla Mujeres or drive to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry over to Cozumel. From Playa you can also drive to Tulum and Akumal.