where to stay on st. john?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are your recommendations, plan to go in May, places already getting booked up...first looked at Caneel, too expensive, considering Gallows Point, possibly Lavender Hill, there are so many condo's and villas but wanted to stay somewhere that is used to answering questions from first timers to the Caribbean. any experience with Mahogany Tree Villa, Azul de Mar specifically? we'll stay anywhere, not just the places i've mentioned, want a good view, fairly quiet, nice place, no bugs! thanks
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Hi,<BR>I know how overwhelming the choices can seem on your first trip but at this point you really need to just make up your mind and get something booked soon. I've read your posts on several different boards and you've gotten lots of good information. <BR>Any place you go that isn't a private villa will answer any questions you have regarding the island and things to do. They are all used to helping first time visitors. And if you do go with a private villa, the property manager should be available to answer your concerns or questions. Any of the places you've asked about in the past will be fine. You want a base to see the islands from. It's a vacation, try to make a decision and then relax and look forward to your first USVI experience!!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MaryBeth! sorry to obsess, didn't mean to be annoying, I understand what you are saying. we're making the decision in the next couple days, getting the final pieces in place. just talked to a nice man that owns suite st. john, gallows point. all of the websites have been such a great help. whatever we decide, we are looking forward to our trip!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Don't misunderstand, I didn't mean to imply you were being annoying. I just don't want you to wait so long that you end up not being able to book a place that you really want. I was similarly obsessed when planning my first trip but everything turned out fine. Just take the plunge and enjoy!!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:15 AM

We stayed at Gallows Point two years ago and loved it! Great location, not a crowded feel at all, and the rooms are fantastic! They have since raised their rates so I don't think we will be able to go back, but if they are in your price range, I really recommend them!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Forgot to mention they do have a concierge in their gift shop who was very helpful when we had questions. And while many people complain that Gallows doesn't have a beach, we really didn't see that as a big drawback. Their swimming platform was a fun way to relax on the water, too.<BR><BR>Ellington's (restaurant at Gallows) was a really special treat for our anniversary dinner. Make reservations for two (for sunset) ahead of time if you want.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Just an extra word on Gallows. The concierge desk is available to the folks who book directly through the resort. Those who book the units owned by Suite St John, don't get the resort services or the housekeeping services.<BR>Ellingtons is no longer the restaurant at Gallows. ZoZo's is in that space now and is wonderful!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mermaid, are you saying it's not a good idea to book through suite st. john for that reason? does suite st. john have anyone to help with questions, day trips, etc? thanks<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM

I've never stayed at the units owned by Suite St John at Gallows. You'd really have to ask Suite St John what services are available. I know that the resort concierge is for guests of the resort only as are the housekeeping services. The basic amenities of the condos are pretty much the same however. I would just clarify with Suite St John what services they provide before I book because they don't have anyone on site that I know of. That's why we book directly with Gallows Point Resort.