Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What are the 5 finest Dining Experiences in Curacao?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband LOVE fine dining and greayt, romantic atmospheres when away. Could anyone recommend the "not to be missed" places,along with one or two wonderful lunch choices in town. A million thanks! June
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM

We were not that impressed with the Wine Cellar or Bistro Le Clochard. The two places we enjoyed the most were in the Kura Hulanda Complex -- Astrolab Observatory and Jaipur. Dine on the patio at Astrolab rather than indoors -- it's a beautiful setting, lots of plants, fountains, very romantic.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM

We truly enjoyed dining experience at Fort Waakzaamheid. Its a spectacular setting especially in the evening. You can see the entire city beneath you. Very romantic. We also thought Fort Nassau was great in terms of service/food/ambiance.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM

1.We LOVED Bistro Le Clochard. Located at the gateway to the harbor. There are a series of rooms that used to be the jail. Go early and sit on the outdoor terrace for a drink or else have an after dinner drink out there and enjoy the town lights.
2.Belle Terrace - Overlooks the sea. This is an open air restaurant in a 200 year old mansion.
3.Wine Cellar- They have an extensive wine list, if you are a wine drinker and an old fashioned dutch ambiance.
4.La Pergola - They have three dining rooms. One in the cellar, and two that overlook the sea.
5.Blues- This is an international/seafood type of place that is out on a pier.
All of these places have good food as well as idyllic ambiance.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I second the suggestion for Blues at the Avila Beach Hotel -- for ambience, service, food and music. I also agree with Fort Nassau for a dining experience.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM

In our opinion, there is a 4-5 star dining experience at LaRouse. It is Swiss/French cuinise. We ate there 3 times in April and all the meals were better, in our opinion, than many mentioned above. The owner/chef is the entertainment. If you go on your 1st or 2nd night I am sure you will want to return. We are going back to Curacao again in Jan. and plan to eat there at least twice.Good food costs money but the surprise was the tab was only $80-$95/couple before gratuity.
Another fun food place is Avalon where you can enjoy a good meal and a drink each for $60/couple before gratuity.We eat there twice.
I would avoid Portofino at the Marriot. we thought is was "hash" at $75/couple.
Hope these suggestions help.Enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM
MrsTraveler

1. We also LOVED Bistro le Clochard. If you enjoy filet mignon, this restaurant is a must. I cannot remember the last time I had such an excellent Chateaubriand.
2. Fort Nassau, set on top of a hill, has sweeping/beautiful views of Willemstad. You must sit on the beautiful terrace for dinner. We thought the food was just good, not great.

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Doesn't anyone venture out to the other side of Curacao? We have been there three times and have always stayed over the bridge on the side where most locals have homes, outside the tourist area, Landhuis Daniel is excellent and the food is probably right up there with the best on the island, matter of fact Fort Waakkzaamheid is owned by the owner of Landhuis Daniel, how can one stay on this island for 12 days and not recommend reanting a car and than report on what the island is like, come on people there is alot to see on this island be a little adventuorous.We had the waitress, the chef and two of their friends celebratemy fiftieth birthday with us and took us to clubs and introduced us to so many people it was fantastic, make friends with people, go out see all the island offers do not stayed bottled up in the hotel section and in town.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:20 AM

Additional recommendations for Astrolab and Jaipur at Kura Hulanda. The restaurant Sjalotte at the Floris Suites Hotel also gets great review, but I haven't been there.

www.kurahulanda.com
www.florissuitehotel.com