Search

Dine at Tra Vigne

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dine at Tra Vigne

I think maybe I'll have more luck posting this here than on Chowhound...
I have read mixed reviews for Tra Vigne (more positive though). I am from NJ/NYC area and trying to decide if I should go for the Italian food here or try something with a Californian flair. Can I justify going there for Italian food...or is Tra Vigne just great food? TIA.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:34 AM

Tra Vigne is just great food. We have enjoyed all of our meals there. Very spacious dining room, excellent service and wonderful food. www.travigne restaurant.com Enjoy! ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM

I agree--Tra Vigne is one of our favorites. The olive oil they use and serve is made from olives pressed near the restaurant. You used to be able to visit the deli/tasting room at the olive company and purchase the oil. It is very good quality. They use many other "California fresh" ingredients, so you'll get a little CA flair in the food.

Have a great trip, and enjoy your meal!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:59 AM

We were there over two years ago but greatly enjoyed it then.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM

We really enjoy Tra Vigne, though I'd say it was just great food, rather than authentic Italian. They do use seasonal items and ingreidients, which is nice.

We really enjoy Tra Vigne's next-door wine bar (they call it the Cantina) and the terrace in between the restaurant and the Cantina. One day, we had lunch on the terrace. Another time, we had drinks outside, dinner in the restaurant, then dessert and drinks back out on the terrace.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:51 AM

I have eaten here. Being from the NYC city area myself, I try not to eat out regular Italian, but this place has more of a Tuscan menu. They have a lot of things they cook in the wood burning oven. Food was very good and the atmosphere is nice too. I would try it if I were you.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies..you've convinced me to go. I finally called to make the reservation and I have to wait until Sept 1 to make the reservation! (Oct 9th I'll be there).
Crossing my fingers! Should I ask for a specific area to be seated?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 01:57 PM

We like to sit inside, close to the window to be able to view the beautiful patio views but still experience the commaradarie inside. I hope you enjoy your meal. ***kim***
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Well, I am the lone negative vote. Or negative kind of. We just ate there about a month ago and I was disappointed. Mostly in the menu. The selections were very limited, IMO, and my BIL and I shared a pizza and I found it very dry. Good thing I ordered sauteed spinish with it b/c I needed that to get it down. My DH got a rabbit pasta thing and that was very tasty. The bread was very good, and the olive oil.

The service was excellent. The setting was lovely. It was rather hot so we did not sit outside, which would have been more charming.

Overall, I would not make big efforts to go again. It just didn't live up to it's "hype" in my book. Few things do, right?