Dining in Otrabanda

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining in Otrabanda

I am looking for a nice place to dine in Otrabanda during my honeymoon. I'd like to have a view of the architecture in Punda at sunset/after dark.

I have been told Fort Nassau has an excellent view of the entire city and Bistro Le Clochard and Gouverneur de Rouville also have nice views. Out of those three, where is the best for a romantic dinner?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Nadia02

Between Fort Nassau and Bistro le Clochard, I think Fort Nassau is more romantic.
You have to sit on Fort Nassau's terrace dining section to get the beautiful view of the city. The restaurant is way on top of a hill so you won't see detailed architectural elements. The inside dining section of Fort Nassau has big bay windows but unfortunately that view includes smokestacks. Ruins the scenery.
Bistro le Clochard is in a shopping center. Not very romantic. Its outside portion has a nice view of the water, but you may see tugboats going by (we did). Ruins the scenery. We didn't really pay attention to the inside because we strongly believe that if we're in the Caribbean and a restaurant has an outdoor section, why eat inside?
Bistro had the better food (in our opinion), but Fort Nassau's was good.
We did not dine at the 3rd restaurant.

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Nadia,

Thank you so much for the insight. I made a reservation for dinner at Fort Nassau and plan to have cocktails close to the water afterwards. This should meet all my requirements.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM

One place to consider in addition to Nassau or Le Clochard is LeROUSSE/ The food is Swiss/French so it is light on the sauces. The food was the best we had out of 7 dinners out. we actually eat there twice.
The chef/owner is charming and his wife is demure so it's a good balance.
A dinner for 2 with gratuity is $85USD+/-.
Is has a bistro environment but no romatic view since it is several blocks from the water but the food compensates.
We are returning in January for 8 nights and will eat there 2 or 3 times, it is that good. The same meal in NYC would be $150 with tip.They serve excellent white wine by-the-glass.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Curacao is our favorite Caribbean island. Not to throw thorns into this, but Fort Nassau, although an excellent view, is the only place that we've ever had bad food on the island. IMO,to say that Bistro le Clochard is in a shopping center is really stretching it. We believe it to be very romantic, it serves the best food on the island as well as having outstanding service and we've never seen a tugboat. So it's not like they run like buses. Have a drink outside at the bar, eat inside and enjoy the wonderful ambiance and then you can laways have an after dinner drink outside at another bar.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Nadia02

Bistro le Clochard's location is really not a matter of opinion. It's a fact that it's in the Riffort which has been converted to a shopping center. If you're too early for dinner, you can go browse around the stores, which we did.