Romantic Anniversary Dinner in Barbados??

Feb 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Romantic Anniversary Dinner in Barbados??

Message: My faince' and I will be spending our four-year anniversay and first vacation ever in Barbados this May. I am looking to reserve a table at a romantic restaurant with a table overlooking the ocean and great food. I have one problem, my fiance' is soooo picky and barely eats anything outside the basics. I need a restauarnt that will provide the romantic ambience, ocean-side table, and the ability to serve him the best seasoned steak money can buy. He's not big on food, so I KNOW he'll probably just get a big steak, a frozen drink or crab-cakes, as you can see he's not really the OH-so gourmet type. Where can I find all that on this island. I was given serveal reccomendations, "The Cliff" being tops, however, I did take a look at their menu, and not against it's reviews, I don't know if the menu will win him over (he hates mushrooms). Other options are the Tides, Carambola, and Calabaza. Please HELP, I want this night to be perfect... Thanx in advance...
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM

We spent our 7 year anniversary at Calabazza. My husband is not an adventurous eater, and he enjoyed their roast pork tenderloin. It was dee-lish! (of course I had to try some). They also wrote "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on our dessert plates. I thought Calabazza did a very nice job. Everyone was very friendly, and the service was very good.

Enjoy yourself no matter where you go! Happy Anniversary!
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I think for a romantic restaurant on the water with great food it almost has to be The Cliff. It is very romantic and the food is excellent. Why don't you contact the restaurant and ask if they could accommodate your fiance's taste if there is nothing on the menu that appeals to him? I can't imagine they wouldn't serve a steak without an accompanying sauce, if the sauce is what would give him pause. They could serve the sauce on the side in case he feels adventurous and decides to try it. I don't quite understand your comment about him hating mushrooms. Do all the menu choices include mushrooms? I don't remember that being the case and we've eaten there a couple of times.

My second choice would be Carambola. It, too, is a lovely restaurant with very good food. Plus it's on the water.
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:45 AM

We also really enjoyed Calabaza, and you can easily check out their menu online to see if the menu sounds appealing.

I would also recommend the Tides. My husband got the beef there (filet I think) and asked for the sauce on the side. They happily accommodated. You can also find their menu online.

While the ambiance at the Cliff is wonderful, if your fiance is not a foodie, I'm not sure I would spend the money to go there. But that's just my opinion...I would plan around $250 for an evening at the Cliff.

Enjoy. They are all great spots with excellent views and solicitous staffs.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:14 AM

We always travel with a friend who MUST have beef wherever we go. Any of the restaurants you mention will serve US Filet Mignon without any sauces -- just ask when ordering.

The Cliff, while romantic is a bit pricey if the gourmet food is not going to impress.

I'd suggest Carambola -- spectacular seating and you'll get what you want at a bit more reasonable price.

Also The Tides is excellent -- not as good a view of the water here, tho.

Also, Calabaza -- quite an interesting place with their decor and torches, and just ask for the steak there. You should be all set.

Here's a recent review I did of Calabaza:

"We tried this for the first time this year & it was fabulous. It?s run by the former manager of The Cliff (Peter ?Huggie? Harris). Be sure to tell them Lois Swanson recommended and you?ll get fantastic service. You can see the similarities. As you enter you walk down some steps past a waterfall. And there are flaming torches everywhere. Calabaza is of Moroccan architecture with vibrant colors. The view is magnificently Caribbean, as the restaurant sits on a low cut cliff, overlooking the beach and the sea. We had some delicious starters like Lobster & Pumpkin Bisque with ginger and chili oils and also the Oriental Salmon Gravalax with vegetable sushi rolls and peanut dipping sauce. Many delicious mains such as Herb crusted Tuna Loin with Orange glazed Fennel and plantain chips as well as Escalope of Pork Tenderloin stuffed with Plum compote and there?s always US beef available! Price for 2 with drinks and wine might be $100-$120 US/couple. Truly a memorable evening.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Lois, I enjoyed your write-up of Calabaza. It was one of our favorites.