Westin ferry

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westin ferry

We are taking the Westin ferry from the airport and was wondering if they leave from Red Hook? I wasn't sure how we get to Red Hook and how long it takes to get there? Also from there, how long of a ferry ride is it? Also, if we take the ferry to St Thomas to do some shopping or go to Morningstar beach, where do they drop you off and is the beach and shopping within walking distance or do we need a taxi? Thanks so much!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:27 AM

hi sharon, i believe the westin ferry goes from red hook. you will definetly need a taxi from charlotte amalie to red hook. the ride takes 1/2 hour. the boat from red hook should take another 1/2 hour.
the ferry from cruz bay to charlotte amalie will take you about 45 minutes and will land you within easy walking distance of shopping.
assume morningstar beach is the one at marriott. you will need a taxi to it from anyplace. you are definetly not in walking distance of any beaches from the ferry at red hook or charlotte. is there a particular reason why you want to go to this beach? imho it's not all that special. magens beach is known as one of more beautiful in carib but is often crowded. secret harbor beach is very nice, quiet, lovely and has good snorkeling. lindquist is deserted (as in hard to even find) really beautiful and has good snorkeling. however in that you will be on st. john i can't think why you would want to use st. thomas beaches as st. john is loaded with gorgeous beaches most of which have good snorkeling!!!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:27 AM

On our recent trip to STJ, we met a couple who had purchased a time share at the Westin. They took the Westin ferry and it was from Charlotte Amalie. As Virginia mentioned, there may be one from Red Hook as well? If I remember correctly, you were basing your day trips with regard to your husband's seasickness. The ferry from Red Hook is quite a bit shorter, but longer taxi ride to get there and vise versa for Charlotte Amalie which is only about 5-10 minutes from the airport. Recommend he try some sort of preventative seasickness remedy.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Unless things changed since we were there last (about 3 years ago), the Westin will take you in a minibus from the airport to the ferry dock. They have a desk and a waiting room at the St. Thomas airport. Just "check in" and they'll let you know what time the van leaves for the dock. You should call them or e-mail them to let them know your arrival date and flight and time so they know to expect you.
The ferry ride was about 1/2 hour. I can't remember where the ferry dock was but it was definitely not a long ride from the airport.

We didn't use the ferry to go to St. Thomas for the day. However, when we took the ferry to the resort on arrival there were people who got on who had just spent the day on STT. So it was the same location. But I can't say for sure it's always that way.

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Also, know that the Westin ferry has scheduled departure times. We had just missed one when we landed, so we had to wait around for the next one (well over an hour, if not 2 hours). The good thing is that there's a restaurant at the dock. Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Thay leave from Crown Bay. It's about a five minute ride from the airport. They try and schedule it to catch most incoming flights. They make quite a few trips daily back and forth. I have never seen them at Red Hook. Tickles Restaurant is right by where the ferry leaves from. They serve the Westin people as quick as they can, so they don't miss the ferry.

RL
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
droolpatrol

As far as day trips back to St. Thomas for shopping and the beach, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say for beaches, it's not worth it to go back to St. Thomas. Shopping, MAYBE, but try the shopping in Cruz Bay before you schlep yourself back to St. Thomas. There will be all the cruise ship crowds there, hustle and bustle and none of the laid back St. John atmosphere.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. The reason that we thought we would go to St. Thomas (Morningstar Beach) was so that my husband could use his metal detector. (strange hobby, I know) and from my understanding that is the only beach he would be allowed to do it. Other than that we really werent going to bother.