Transport to St. John's

Search

Transport to St. John's

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport to St. John's

I just read that the cost to get to St. John's from St. Thomas costs another $90 per person. This on top of airfare from CA makes it pretty steep. Is there any other way to St. John's and The Westin?
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM

The cost by the Westin ferry may be $90 for arrival and departure and as many times as you want to go to STT during your stay right from the property but there is a public ferry from both Charlotte Amalie (about 45 minutes for $10 pp + $2 per bag) and Red Hook (about 15 minutes for $5 pp + $2 per bag). If you choose the Red Hook ferry, you will taxi from the airport across the island. Think the going rate is $90 for a private taxi for up to 4 passengers but public taxi is around $13 pp while it's $7 or so dollars to the ferry dock in Charlotte Amalie. You'll taxi to the Westin from the Cruz Bay ferry dock.
You can check ferry rates and schedules @ vinow.com
BTW, St. John's is on Antigua ... it is St. John! ;-)
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I know the $90 seems like a lot, but the amount of aggravation and research you'll have to do to save the extra $40 per person is just not worth it IMO. Especially coming all the way from CA, don't you just want to arrive, grab that yummy rum punch they serve, take your bags over to the Westin VIP lounge (all of about 50 feet) and relax while the Westin folks handle your luggage, arrange the transportation to their private ferry, and basically take care of you to and from the Westin? That ride was the first approach to STJ for us, and I have to tell you, it was one of the loveliest trips.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Ninety bucks is a lot, and since we don't stay at the Westin, we always go one of the other routes (Charlotte or Red Hook ferries). That said, if I were staying at the Westin, I'd fork over the $90 and forget it just for the convenience of dock-to-dock luxury. If you land in Cruz Bay, you'll have another (granted, short) cab ride to Westin, but the lugging of suitcases from airport to cab to ferry from ferry to cab to lobby is something I'd pay to avoid, if the cost could be written off to holiday indulgence.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Yes, they check you in at the airport and you won't see your luggage again until you get to your room. No need to do anything else but enjoy!

RL
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responces. One further question---beachplum mentioned transport as many times as we wanted, to STT. Did I understand this correctly? If that is so then the price is not bad at all. And as everyone said, the convenience!