Search

ferry or westin ferry

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ferry or westin ferry

We will be arriving in St. Thomas this Wednesday, and we were wondering is it cheaper to take taxi then ferry to St. John OR take the Westin ferry ride. Only in St. John for 4 nights.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Was in St. John in May. I think it cost us $16 to take a taxi in St. Thomas to Red Hook (for 2 people) and then another $3-$4 per person for the Red Hook Ferry. I don't know how much the Westin ferry costs but we have friends that said the Westin ferry is a much more comfortable ride because of the a/c. You can probably call Westin directly to inquire about the cost. Good luck!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you LPiscetta for your response. Have you taken the ferry from Charlotte Amalie? I know the ferry for the Westin is $68 per person.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM
cdt

From the airport, it's cheaper to take the taxi to CA and ferry from there than to take the taxi to Red Hook. Also, the taxi may make several stops en route to Red Hook.

It's possible the Red Hook ferry could fit your schedule better, and it gives you a shorter ferry trip (a plus for those prone to sea-sickness!).
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Tks for all the info.
Really helpful.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Airport to Waterfront app. $8 for 2 Waterfront to CruzBay $7 pp

Airport to Red Hook app. $16 for 2
Red Hook to Cruz Bay $3 pp

Cruz Bay to the Westin $5 for 2

Either way it's $27 (+ luggage and tip) one way

Waterfront to Cruz Bay is a 45 minute ferry compared to 15 minute from Red Hook. The taxi would be less than 30 minutes to Red Hook and a 15 minute ferry ride. Red Hook runs hourly so it would depend on the time your plane gets in since the Town ferry isn't as frequent (9am.11am,1pm,3pm,4pm,5:30pm). The taxi driver will steer you in the right direction to the next available ferry.

Westin ferry you still taxi to catch the boat at Crown Bay but it will take you directly to the Westin dock. Check their schedule since sometimes people have a wait for that also or find the public ferry better for depature times.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM
caribtraveler

the westin will take you via minibus to the dock to catch the ferry in st. thomas.
i personally think if you don't have a lot of luggage and you're physically healthy, catch a cab and do public ferry.
we did the westin ferry a few weeks ago only because we had a baby with us (hence lots of luggage!). it was just more convenient for us. if it were just my husband and i, we would have done taxi + public ferry. i just don't think the westin price of $68 would be worth it for just us two.
also, the westin ferry has specific schedules (i don't believe they go back and forth as often as the public ferry). we had to wait 2 hours 1/2 for the ferry on our way to st. john which was a bit annoying. good luck.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:00 PM

We just got back from the Westin last Thursday. The convenience of the onsite ferry was nice, but not worth the money. If we had checked the ferry prices before we left, we probably would have taken the ferry from Red Hook over to Cruz Bay in St. John. You still will have to pay to have the taxi/bus take you from the Westin into town (Cruz Bay). Our taxi from Crown Bay Marina (where the Westin Ferry picks up) to the Red Hook area was $24 for 2 people. The last Westin Ferry leaves Crown Bay at 5:45. Will you be staying at the Westin? They can make travel arrangements in advance for you online.