Ferry from St. Thomas to St. John

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry from St. Thomas to St. John

I need a fairly quick answer to this one. What is the best way to ferry from St. Thomas to St. John? Take a short taxi ride to Charlotte Amalie and then a longer ride over the water or taxi to Red Hook (more $$) and then a 20-minute ferry to Cruz Bay?

I've only traveled Red Hook-Cruz Bay, but it seems to me that the Charlotte Amalie ferry wouldn't be so bad and you would save yourself the rather rocky taxi ride across St. Thomas.

We leave in 72 hours, and are meeting up with a group on St. John, so we are interested in the most efficient way to make it. Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:32 PM

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Which do you prefer, traveling by car or boat? Some chose the long cab ride over the short because the ferry ride from CA is sometimes a little rough, but not bad at all.
Ronnie
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM

Hi Loisde, I've done both ferries & definitely prefer CA to Cruz Bay over Red Hook. I (and my stomach) just didn't love the taxi ride across STT.

Just know the CA ferry runs less frequently than Red Hook, something like every 2 hours. It's great if it coincides with your arrival on STT, much more pleasant way to get to STJ.

Have a fantastic trip! We LOVE STJ!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Hi Loisde-

We take whichever ferry will be most convenient to catch or the one that will get us to St. John the earliest. We enjoy both the boat ride and the taxi ride through ST. Thomas. Either way is paradise compared to sitting here at work! Have a great trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I guess I did ask a rather obvious question with the answer being the most convenient ferry time-wise. I need to remember that I leave my mainland PDA at home and if I miss one ferry due to a delayed flight or longer wait time at baggage claim, there will be another along in a while.

The last time we were through Red Hook, we did miss the ferry and there wasn't much around the dock to pass the time. I think I've read somewhere that the area is a little more built up and we can do some limited grocery shopping there instead of waiting to get to St. John.

crowisland, you are absolutely right! What am I fretting about? I'm in the USVI and NOT in my office . . .