Traveling from St. Thomas to St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visting the USVI for the first time with our 7 month old for 5night/4days. We will be arriving in St. Thomas. From a previous post it seems that everyone recommended St. John for us. Having said, that is this a difficult trek to make after arriving at the airport in St. Thomas. How long will it take? I've learned its more economical to rent, therefore we will have our own car for the stay.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM

From your post I guess you are flying to St Thomas and staying on St John? If so you need to take a taxi from the airport in St Thomas to the ferry, I suggest taking a taxi to the Red Hook Ferry, it runs constantly. The ferry from Red Hook (St Thomas) to St John is about 25 minutes. really an easy trip.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:50 AM
J62

There are 3 ways to ferry from St. Thomas.

1. Charlotte Amalie ferry. 5min taxi from airport but 45min ferry

2. as MIM04 says, Red Hook ferry. This is a 30min taxi but a 15-20min ferry. $3-4 each if I recall.

Both of these are passenger only ferries - no cars. You buy your tickets at the booth, queue up and board in a orderly fashion, place your bags at the back of the boat and you're on your way.

3. Red Hook car ferry. This is a 45min ferry ride (much slower boat) and you need to get there 30min before the departure time to queue up with your car. It's the same 30min drive from the airport to RH, but you have to find the way by yourself. The whole car ferry process is somewhat confusing and if you're just arriving/never done it before also disorienting.

For 1st timers I recommend either the CA or RH passenger ferry, then renting a car/jeep on St. John.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:40 AM

We are going in 3 weeks to St John.We decided to take the 5 min. taxi ride to the Charlotte Amalie ferry.The ferry ride is longer from there but it just depends on whether you would like a longer ferry or taxi ride.We have reserved a car through Delbert Hill..which is right when you get off the ferry.The number is 340-776-6637 if you need it.We reserved a 4WD..everyone has recommended it.Good luck and have fun..Im sure your wife will be so happy about the trip!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:46 AM
cdt

Also keep in mind that while St. Thomas car rentals are cheaper than St. John, many STT firms do not allow their vehicles to leave the island.

Even for those who do, it can be a pain if you need a repair, or have an accident, while on St. John.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Also, the ferry from downtown (CA) does not run as often so you will have to check what time you arrive, Red Hook runs all the time.

Red Hook is $6 RT (15-20 min ferry)

from CHARLOTTE AMALIE $7 one way.
(45 min ferry)
Charlotte Amalie - times 9 am, 11 am, 1 PM, 3 PM, 4 PM, 5:30 PM

Red Hook -6:30 am and 7:30 am - Then hourly 8 am to midnight

I would rent a car IN St John, not St thomas. There is no one there really to service it if it breaks down (if rented in St Thomas) You need someone who will provide 24 hour assistance, especially traveling with an infant.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I'm jealous! I was in St. John for 11 days last May! Def. a better choice than St. Thomas in my opinion, unless you want a lot of diversions other than beautiful beaches. I did the Red Hook Ferry out and the Charlotte Amalie Ferry going back. There are many taxis qued up at the airport to take you to Red Hook. Just ask if they are going directly there, so you don't have other stops along the way. Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM

The taxi drivers generally have a good idea of what ferry will get you there sooner depending on the time you come in. I would definately rent a car on st.john even though it's more expensive. I just wouldn't risk it. The "trek" to st.john is an easy one and as soon as you get into the airport in st.thomas, you'll be so excited, it won't be tough at all!
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Only one way to go in my book....ferry from CA! Beautiful scenic boat ride along the south coast of St. Thomas....that is an easy one. I believe it is around $8 each way. Cheap! We always pack a couple of cold ones for the trip....a great beginning to our VI vacation!
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there is nothing/nor anyone but "snobs" on this post? If you want to go to PR go--Jesus Christ--do you have to tell everyone all of your "issues" lol.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM

It's called "travelling" an experience--obv. most of you have to have your lives planned-which makes me ask why travel at all? Outside of saying "...I went there" you are truly are the "ugly american".

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:56 PM

libretango - your comments are not only uncalled for, but they don't even make sense regarding this post. The OP was asking how to get from one place to another as they HAVE NOT been there. What does PR have to do with it? If you do not have anything helpful to contribute, then dont say anything at all! How about that.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:47 AM

mim- I think that libre needs help or has a serious buzz!!

libre-who are you to call everyone snobs when you do not know us??What the h-ll does PR have to do with STJ and STT??
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:49 AM

cooncat-I assume that you own a Maine Coon Cat??If so, so do I..his name is Whopper and he is a buff mackerel.I love him...he is a very unique cat.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:33 AM

I'm with everyone else - Libre: What's your buzz?

Christie: I love that name! I have two Maine Coons, a girl named Arwen and a boy named Strider. From Lord of the Rings, of course.

GMathew - hope you're still with us. The above poster was right who said the "trek" to St. John is an easy one. ENJOY!!!!!!
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Christie - lol OMG what the heck does that have to do with anything! His or her post makes no sense at all! Some people!
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM

MIM-I think that libre is too embarassed to say anything else!!

cooncat-We got the name "Whopper" from a little old man 86 yo named Forrest who comes to visit us..when he got one look at the cat..he said "boy thats a Whopper"..and we had just bought him at 10 mths old..we had not named him yet, so my husband said thats his name.I have not registered him yet so I will have to think of a proper name for the papers.Of course,we will still call him Whopper.I like the name Strider thats cute.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM

Wow. Weird trip reading this post. If gmathew95 is still out there: our daughter's first St. John trip was at 7 months old. Just a couple of pointers from experienced mom: (1) Stock up on age appropriate bug spray and sunscreen. Definitely needed and is pricier on island. (2) Don't forget to mention the need for a baby carseat when renting car. (3) Probably smarter to get the Charlotte Amalie longer ferry and rent car in St. John because babies don't tolerate long windy car rides with parents confused about where they're going what they're doing. If you are staying at a hotel, i.e. Westin or Caneel Bay, they have their private ferries and will help you with luggage, renting car, etc. As for "Libretango's" posts, interesting if entirely off-point. Guess Latin references aren't snobby. Must not have kids because it is only responsible to plan ahead when you have kids. Liked the coon cat discussions though.