Search

St. John with Kids

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John with Kids

We're headed to Caneel Bay in early July with our 9 and 12 year old children. I have read a lot of posts over the last few months, but was looking for specific information regarding travelling with kids. Any special hikes, activities, restaurants or beaches that you'd recommend? Also, we'll be there over July 4, and it sounds like they have an extended carnival. Has anyone experienced that? Thanks for your input!
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:56 PM

We have been to St. John a couple of times with our kids. What did they like best? Snorkeling. Recommendations: Wayward Sailor - Cpt. Phil is great with new snorkelers. He snorkels with you and gives you tips and points out marine life. Favorite snorkeling spots with kids are Hawksnest and Salt Bay Pond. Besides that our kids loved the pool, shopping on St. Thomas(my daughter) and horseback riding. Their favorite restuarants were Fish Trap, Lime Inn and Margaritas.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've printed off the thread about favorite places on St. John to take with us. I appreciate all the help from this site. Another question, has anyone taken kids on the ranger hike that starts at the top of a cliff and ends with a boat ride? How strenuous is it?
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM

You're thinking of the Reef Bay Trail. We have hiked the trail, without the guide, and as I recall it was a couple of hours. Not too strenous, except for the last part on the way back which is uphill. However, if you take the guided hike you can go only one way and have a boat take you back, that would probably be preferable for the kids. The Mother In-Laws Tongues are unbelievable and the hermit crabs are huge. enjoy
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Your kids are going to love St. John! We'll be on island at the same time as you with our kids. The week leading up to the 4th, there is an area in town with booths set up where you can sample local cuisine and bands play nightly. There is also a little area where there are carnival type rides and games for kids. On the 4th there is a parade through Cruz Bay that starts around 11.

Some good inexpensive family restaurants are Polli's for Mexican and Banana Deck for burgers, etc.

We like the hike out to Ram's Head on the east end, but it is hot, so be prepared and bring lots of water. There's a unique Blue Cobblestone beach along the way where you can take a dip to cool off and check out the "people" that were created out of the rocks there. Really nice vistas.

I would highly recommend you purchase ASAP either "Off The Beaten Track" by Gerald Singer or "Feet, Fins & 4WD" by Pam Gaffin. They are both great books and will give you all the hiking, snorkeling and beach info you need while on St. John. You can purchase them both at another Caribbean travel forum and have them in your hands in 4 or 5 days! Take them with you in your backpacks or beach bag while there!

Have fun!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:03 AM

The Ram Head trail is great, but for your first time you should make sure to do the Reef Bay trail and see the waterfall & petro-glyphs.

Be sure to bring plenty of water---especially on Ram Head. The way the beach is situated it catches a lot of heat in July.

Trunk Bay has a guided snorkel trail. The snorkeling is supposed to be good at Caneel as well, but I haven't experienced it. Watermelon Cay has the best snorkeling. Day trips on boats are good too.

Restaurants---I love Asolare, but the kids might not be crazy about it. The Sugar Mill/Equator at Caneel Bay is neat b/c it's an old Sugar Mill. We had our wedding dinner there, but the food isn't the greatest. Lime Inn is good. Fish Trap is good. If you like fried food, Woody's is good & cheap. The Mongoose Junction Deli is good.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Cindy, how old are your kids? Where are you staying? We'll look for you at the parade!!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Nibos, Our kids are boy, 15, and girls 12 & 10. This year we're trying the villa rental thing and staying in the Great Cruz Bay area, for 11 days this time. I've always been interested in Caneel. I'm sure you're going to love being right on the beautiful beaches there. Email me at [email protected] and we can talk more.

Cindy
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:50 AM

We are considering St John with our 5 kids.. what's the best way to get around the island? are there minivan rentals available or would we need to rent two cars? or are cabs better to go to and fro? we are considering the Westin - do they provide shuttle service to the various beaches?
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Mike, with 7 people taxi fares would add up quick. You need to rent a car. Montero/Troopers are available on island for about $10 more per day than a Jeep Liberty and they seat 7. Don't think the Westin has shuttle services, just lots of taxis on hand.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:31 AM

When we stayed at the Westin, I remember taking a lot of cabs. We rented a jeep for part of the time.

I think they maybe had some limited shuttle service available.

Be sure to get a four wheel drive vehicle---which is mostly what they have for rent anyway.