Which island to pick?

Aug 17th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Chantal

Which island to pick?

Hello all,

My friend and I are planning a trip in November but we need help deciding where to go! We are looking for a beautiful beach on a quiet, clean, safe and affordable island. We just want to relax on a beach for a week, we are not interested in the hustle bustle. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Aug 17th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Sandi

Affordable, is the key word here. I am a TA and I guess the best advice I would give is to seek out an island that is availble on a package from your area with a tour compnay, the rates are usually less than booking air, hotel and transfer separately. That would be a start, then look for something all inclusive. Having lived in the islands for 4 years, I can tell you it is expensive to eat and drink on most of them. More and more all inclusive pricing is becoming available all the time, it is the way of the future and makes for a worry free vacation! I know it is not an island, but a calm place with beauiful beaches and great resorts is Playa del carmen Mexico, south of Cancun and away from the crowds..and it is affordable. If you have more questions, e-mail me I do not get on the board all that often, just found myself with an extra half hour at the end of a long week today! I don't know where you are from so I cannot recommend packages, but if you want I can look when I find out your gateway.

Aug 18th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Lee A/T

COZUMEL. Lee in Austin,Tejas

Aug 19th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Lane

it depends which airport close to you offers the best airfare to which part of the world. flying into san juan, puerto rico allows you to go anywhere in the caribbean at a reasonable rate via shuttler plane or ferry. there are many beautiful, very quiet islands there. the bahamas are also extememly
accessible. it depends on where you live and how long a flight you want, and when you want to go. let me know if you want more specifics. good luck

Aug 19th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Penney

If your looking to get away from the hustle and bustle, look into Turks and Caicos. We have been to numerous islands and Turks is one of those that is verylaid back, no huge masses of toursist or crowds and miles of empty beaches.

Aug 19th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Sherry

I agree with the Turks and Playa Del Carmen.....have visited both and have had fantastic times at both....Playa Del Carmen is very reasonable...we stayed at the RIU Tequila....stayed at one and played at 3.....3 others down there that you can hang out at as well...Iberostar is good as welll!!!! Good luck!

Aug 19th, 2001, 05:30 PM
d motl

The Island that would problably best meet your need is Isla Mujeres. Quiet, great beaches and cheap. We are talking hotels with A/c and refridge for $35 to $50. IM is a small Carribean Island about 10 miles from Cancun. We spend a month a year down there and will be there for two weeks starting 11/16/01. We would be happy to e-mail you our 20 page brouchure on the island and surrounds if you request.
If you can get the airfare our next best recommendation would be Negril Jamaica. We have a 5 page brouchure on that destination. Dan and Ginny

Aug 20th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Janet

I can highly recommend Grenada as a quiet, friendly and safe beach destination. My partner and I spent one week each of the past two winters in a cottage at the Flamboyant Hotel - overlooking the long, uncrowded Grand Anse beach, and with a smaller beach on a secluded cove a short walk the other direction. With a kitchenette our eating/drinking costs were fairly low. There's enough tourist infrastructure that you can do some tours, eat out, etc. - but very little nightlife. The Flamboyant is small and relaxing, and prices should be pretty competitive in November.

Jun 21st, 2003, 02:54 PM

Hello Janet!!!

I have been looking for someone like you to help me... My family and I are planning to go to Grenada in Dec./Jan. we have looked into the Flamboyant cottage but there is a surprising lack of information regarding the cottage and I am desperate for more. Do you have any pictures? Is there anything that stood out to you re: the cottage?
I hope you are still surfing the Fodors as I am desperate!!

Thanks
Jun 21st, 2003, 05:37 PM

Do be aware that this post is 2 years old. "Janet" may or may not happen onto this site again.