st. john with children

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

st. john with children

headed to the Westin the 1st week of March and can't wait after hearing such great things on this site! (I don't think I've heard one person say anything negative about St. John which is so amazing!!) Anyway, wondering which of the fabulous restaurants are kid friendly? I noticed on ZoZo's site they only accept children over 8 years old or something. Does anyone have any idea about the Kids Club at the Westin and/or evening babysitting? We really want to try some of these local favorites!!! counting the days....
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM

ZoZo's is definitely not for kids. We've seen kids dining at the casual 'Lime Tree' in town. You could also pick up Uncle Joe's BBQ take out. Sunday breakfast at Tamarind Court would be ok for kids too. Have fun! ib.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM

I was at the Westin last year. I did not use the Kids' Club, but it looked great. The women who staffed it were always out cruisin' the beach engaging the kids in some kind of fun. My then 7 and 9 year old boys wanted to go. I am a little paranoid about leaving my kids with anyone unless I know them really well. But if I was going to leave them in a resort daycare, it would have been that one.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Hi. We really enjoyed "Paradiso" for dinner when we were in St. John some 3 years ago. Don't know if it's still open and whether it still serves good food. They had high chairs (we were with our 1+ year-old). I thought the restaurant was a bit upscale so if yours is as small as mine was, I'd suggest going for an early dinner. We still do that with our now close to 4-year-old. We find out what time the restaurant opens for dinner and go at that time. The restaurants are usually empty then. So if the little guy behaves like an active toddler behaves, we're not ruining anyone else's dinner.
Have a great time. The beaches are truly beautiful in St. John. I hope you're renting a vehicle to see them. You'll find that the Westin beach is a disappointment (at least we did).
We didn't use the Kids Club. We're paranoid like scarboroughmom.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM

We took our 3 kids (ages 4, 6 & 10) to St. John last February and they loved Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. It is about as casual and laid back as you can get - nothing gourmet - burgers, fish sandwiches and ice cream bars. The kids loved the little gift shop that sold lots of junky pirate stuff (shark tooth necklaces, little pirate guys, fake gold etc....)

Skinny's would be a good lunch stop if you visit a beach around Coral Bay or the East End.

I don't know about the babysitting at the Westin.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your feedback! I am also such a paranoid mother about using babysitting! Even my husband is a little uneasy. I guess I will feel out the Kids Club when we get there. Paradiso does look very nice. I'm so glad to hear that you went with your little one, caribtravler! Ours are 3 and 5 and very used to restaurants so I think we'll be OK. We are renting a car and can't wait to stop at the famous Skinny Legs! I just read on some site that there was a robbery at Skinny Legs around at 10:30PM about a week or so ago. Yikes! Luckily no one was hurt but they took cash from the register and from the patrons. Sad that such things have to happen in paradise!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't go to Paradiso with kids! We went with our 15-month old last year and pretty much ended up running out of there. He was awful in restaurants on the whole trip, but of all the places we went, we felt the most uncomfortable with him at Paradiso, even dining early -- it's just not a good atmosphere for little ones.

We liked the Lime Inn and even Maragarita Phil's was OK (practically next door to Paradiso) -- you're sitting outside basically there -- so that was fine. There's a playground across the street too so I took our toddler over there while we waited for the food to come.

The best place was Morgan's Mango (also right in that same block). There were chickens outside the lattice walls, and our son spent the entire meal pushing crumbs through the lattice for the chickens to peck at. We had a fabulous, relaxed meal that evening!

We're going back to St. John in March, and our son will be a year old, but I'm not sure the restaurants will be any easier. This time we've convinced my in-laws to join us for half the week though, thank God. At least we'll be able to eat out without the little one a couple of times.

Have fun -- you will LOVE St. John!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I meant to say he'll be a year OLDER (two and a half), not a year old. Either way, a terror in restaurants.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Its been a few years since we went to St. John but Lime Tree & Morgan's Mango always worked with the kids. We would go to dinner early also to avoid waiting. Have a great trip. The pool at the Westin is really nice.
Betsy
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Hi,
Having 4 kids and stayed last april on the east end, we ate in that area often. Wasnt too impressed with skinny legs, we had a very long wait, no ocean view, food so so. We loved shipwrecks!! Great views of the sailboats, great food especially fish & chips, Try it you wont be disappointed!! We liked the shopping at skinnies thou.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM

We stayed at the Westin with our 2 kids who were about 10 and 8 then. They're little foodies and it sounds like they're older than yours, but check out my trip reports for our thoughts on restaurants and other things family-oriented at STJ. search st. john/westin trip report. It comes in 3 parts. It was a while ago, but probably most of it is still pertinent. Have a great time. We loved the island.