siboney beach

Jul 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

siboney beach

we are going to be staying at siboney beach this winter. any info. you could provide as to what room to select or anything else about the hotel would be appreciated. i hope we've made a good choice.
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

i posted this message almost 2 months ago and not one person has replied. is it because it is a very small hotel, 12 suites, and not many people have stayed there. i would love some good reviews!
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:44 AM

It helps if you say what island it's on
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I think you might be talking about Siboney Beach Club on Antigua. I've not stayed there but I've enjoyed a few nice meals there at the Coconut Grove restaurant. It's on a lovely beach that is the social center of Antigua, which means you're in walking distance of various beach bars, restaurants, and water sports vendors.

I think Siboney offers a good value, particularly in winter. I would probably opt for one of the two ocean front suites, as they actually face the beach. All others are more properly garden view, though they're probably called ocean view.

Antigua is one of my favorite islands and I would be happy to answer questions you have about activities, daysails, other beaches to try, etc.
Sep 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

sorry, i should have stated it was on the island of antigua. i'm not sure i know how to modify the title of my statement.
for the most part, the reviews i've read on trip advisor have been good. the hotel doesn't provide transfers from the airport. would you say it would be wiser, moneywise, to take a cab or begin our week car rental when we arrive?
Sep 18th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Hotels themselves on Antigua by law cannot provide the transportation, but they can arrange for taxi transfers ahead of time.

Expect about a 10-15 minute drive from airport to Siboney and something like $12 for the cab.

When I travel to the Caribbean, especially to an island for the first time,I have found that I prefer to take a taxi from the airport to where I'm staying for a few reasons:
--I like to get my first view of the island as a passenger, not a driver. I can pay attention to the roads, the routing, landmarks, etc, without having to watch the traffic (I'm used to right-hand driving).
--I'm already tired from a day of travel and more than likely won't want to drive anyplace that first night anyway, especially if I want to relax with a drink or three.
--I might arrive right at or after dark and would prefer to make my way on my own for the first time by daylight.

Your miles may vary, however. If you want the car that night you can always take a cab to the Siboney and have the rental car company meet you at the hotel after you've unpacked and freshened up. If you don't want to deal with a rental on your first night, besides the onsite restaurant there will be places within walking distance for you to eat your first night.

Sep 20th, 2005, 05:40 AM

We were at Siboney at the end of July and had a wonderful time. I would recommend the Deluxe Oceanview Suite #5. It's on the second floor with the bedroom, which is air conditioned, facing the ocean and the balcony facing the gardens. The menu in the restaurant was wonderful but we also very much enjoyed Papa Zouks. That was a great night! The beach, one of 365, is small in front of Siboney but you can walk to any of the beaches along Dickenson Bay. The Sandals is there and two other places to stay. It was beautiful. There is also a restaurant toward Sandals maybe 100 yards from Siboney. I think it is called the Beach House but not sure about that. It has the "Best" seafood pizza I have ever had.

Another thing. The people on Antiqua, along with great weather, made our stay so enjoyable. Tony Johnson is the owner of Siboney and I really enjoyed talking with him. In fact, the entire staff at Siboney were a lot of fun.

Hope this answers some of your questions. We are in the process of planning our return to Antiqua now.

Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

i'll inquire if the rate we paid would include suite #5. it sounds great. if a cab is under $15 from the airport, i agree that it makes sense to just do that and get the car the next day. somebody posted a review of siboney on trip advisor and went on and on about the beach area on one side of the hotel as being an abandoned motel and that it didn't seem "safe" at night with people kind of crashing on the beach. did you, wvdavid, see that? siboney wasn't the cheapest but it seemed like it would be low key and have a charm about it. my concern is always that it's not so low key that it's "shabby". i've always had to gamble on the hotel i select so i'm hoping i've made a good "bet" with siboney. did you rent a car and can you recommend the best and cheapest place to rent from on the island? thanks for all your good advice.
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Putch;

The area next to Siboney, on the left facing the ocean, is abandoned but we didn't see any "unsavory" people hanging out there at night. There are a couple of small rundown buildings there but it didn't bother us at all.

We were there during their carnival so renting a car was tough. The Siboney staff got one for us which the company delivered to us and picked up 4 days later. Great service. I think the rate was $60US a day but not sure about that. Talk to Siboney. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

The bar/restaurant at Siboney was a great place. We had wonderful meals there and some really good times after dinner there or excursions on the island. The place has it's regulars which are all quick to welcome you. And, again, the staff were/are great.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll be glad to help.
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM

btw; The cab from the airport was $15US including the tip.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

wvdavid
thanks for all the information. it sounds like taking a taxi from the airport makes sounds since it's only $15.
my concern is really about the "quality" of the rooms at siboney. a few years ago we stayed in a hotel in barbados that was so "shabby" it ruined the island for me.stupidly, we didn't try to change hotels which was our fault. how would you describe the rooms at siboney?
the rate, since it's february, wasn't terribly cheap so i'm hoping the room, at least somewhat, reflects the cost.
thanks for any easing of my mind you can do.
putch
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Dear putch;

The rooms are very nice. Siboney was to replace the stove in #5 which was pretty old but still very functional. The furniture was very comfortable and quite attractive. If you are use to air conditioning though, only the bedrooms have it. We have been to a few islands in the Carribean and this compares to all of them other than this was the first one where only the bedroom is air conditioned. After a bit, it wasn't a problem. The landscaping, gardens are very nice.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

on another trip advisor site, someone recommended room #9 at siboney. is there a great difference between the rooms themselves, other than where they are located in the hotel?