Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Sands - Is an Upgrade to Ocean View worth it if staying on first floor?

Apr 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi-

I know this is getting picky, but now that I'm excited about where we're staying, I want to put in a request for the best spot.

I had hoped to stay on the first floor, because I've read of how convenient it is with the kids to come in from outside straight into your screened patio. That said, does it make sense to upgrade from Garden View to Ocean View? Will we be able to see much from the first floor?
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:37 AM

It will depend a lot on the building you are in. We were on the third floor in one of the back buildings, and could have upgraded to a building closer to the water and oceanview, but we were staying for two weeks and NEVER in the room, so we declined. (Did not miss it one bit or wish we had.)

If you are not in one of the very two front buildings, I would not bother with the upgrade, but that's just imho.
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana. I got similar responses at tripadvisor, so I'm sticking with the Gardenview.
Apr 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Stumper, you can always decide once you are down there. (provided they are not fully booked.)
Once you see your room, you might love it! But if not, ask to "see" an upgraded room. If you like it more, you can pay the difference at the time.
The garden rooms are fine though!
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I am ***this close to booking the Sands for 06/24 - 07/01, basically on a whim (we were supposed to be going to Aruba again this year). Expedia has a good deal for a 2-bedroom ocean view room. So my questions are these:

Good/bad comments about your experience booking through Expedia.com?

Is there a building/room # I should request to avoid looking at an A/C duct, etc.?

Thanks!
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:45 AM
TG

We stayed at OCW on our 1st trip to Provo and The Sands on our 2nd trip. In both cases we have 2 bdrm. ocean front accommodations but we much preferred The Sands. If I were going again I would chose the same room - top floor front building closest to the water.
You can find less expensive rooms but you may have a view of the parking lot, a vacant lot (if there are any left)or something much less appealing than the beautiful gin clear water of Grace Bay.
Enjoy The Sands
PS: if memory serves me you the 1st floor screened patios do not have doors to the outside -- I am sure they do this for security reasons.
Apr 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM

You can call the Sands directly, get answers to everything and the price should be the same.
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:59 AM

The screened doors on the ground (first) floor at The Sands do have screened doors to go in and out. However, they also have a lock.
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Thanks for your replies! I booked a 2-bedroom oceanview unit at The Sands this morning for 06/24 - 07/01. They are running a great promo right now; pay for five nights get your sixth and seventh night free which worked out great for us.