Sandals Regency St. Lucia

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals Regency St. Lucia

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sandals Regency in May for our 25th wedding anniversary. We are a active couple, mid 40's, enjoy swimming, beaching, scuba and snorkeling. Also enjoy good restaurants and great scenery. Been married long enough not to require too much privacy!! After reading some posts, we're wondering if we chose the wrong resort! Sounds like there's a lot of good restaurants to chose from and that Sandals REgency does not offer much in the way of great food. Can anyone help me with any suggestions or affirmations??? We still have time to move our reservation if we need to. Thanks so much for any help!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

We went to the Regency in April 2004 and LOVED it. We enjoyed the food, and also ate at the 2 other properties getting there via their 20 minute shuttle. The restaurant way on the top of the Regency property was great at sunset.

The only thing we didn't like was that the beach at the Regency was red-flagged the whole week....no swimming, too rough they said. We took the shuttle to the Grande and Halcyon many times to use the beach, snorkel and water ski, but it was not as convenient to do so, yet it gave our beach time more of a day-trip, planned outing feel, which was OK. We went on one beach party/snorkeling boat trip which left from the Regency.

A simple thing, yet one of our favorite things was taking an ice bucket with champagne back to our balcony to enjoy while watching the sunset before getting ready for dinner and evening plans. Sandals treats us very well. Be sure to ask for anything your heart desires !!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM

We've been to four Sandals properties and this was our least favorite - in fact, we disliked it. Everything from I didn't have an inch of my body that wasn't bitten by the time we left, to the fact that we didn't care for management there, to the red flag was out the entire week, which meant that we were never able to swim, except in the pool. Probably explains why that particular property has such a big pool. We were told that all of the Sandals food comes from the same place in Jamaica, but we find this difficult to believe as we found big differences in the food quality between the resorts. We didn't care for the Regency's. We heard that the Antigua resort is adding four restaurants, including a pizzeria. That's our favorite!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

OK, one good, one bad! Thanks both of you for your insight. That's about what I've been reading from other posts. Sounds like the beach is not good but the food is better than the others. We can switch resorts, was thinking about Tikaye, that's about in line with our budget, but wondering if that is too isolated and hard to get around the island from. Was also thinking about ditching the whole AI thing and staying at Coco Palms. We'll be there only five nights and six days, want to take advantage of every minute!! Any more input anyone?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM

I haven't stayed at Sandals but had a a couple of thoughts about the other places you are considering.

Coco Palm is a nice place to stay (I was there last month), especially for the price. It is in the heart of Rodney Bay, and there is a large variety of restaurants within walking distance. Coco Palm is not beachfront, but it is a short (less than five minute walk) to Reduit Beach, and the hotel also runs free shuttles to the beach and has an optional beach package with chairs, umbrellas, and non-motorized watersport equipment, or you can make your own arrangements at the beach. It is a different kind of experience than staying at an AI resort.

TiKaye isn't all inclusive either, but I believe they have meal plans you can purchase. It is a little remote for my tastes, but others will disagree. It really is all about what you want. TiKaye has good snorkeling too.

Also, I understand that the Sandals Grande has a better beach, and that if you stay at the Regency, you can take shuttles and use the facilities/restaurants at all three Sandals on St. Lucia.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
pangs

Think you'd enjoy Tikaye or Coco Palms more. CP in Rodney Bay means you can walk to dozens of great restaurants, the island's best beach, shops and anything else your heart desires. It's easy getting into Castries or organising tours from there too. Tikaye is fabulous and if you want quiet and good food, that's the place to be. Nice beach too. What about Ladera in the mountains?

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM

rscott2007: I stayed at the Grande last year (after exhaustive searches on the St. Lucia Sandals properties on this and TripAdvisor forums) for my 10-year anniversary. Loved the property (my vote would be Grande), the beach (best on the island IMO), the views on the beach and from our room, the water sports, being able to shuttle to the Regency and Halcyon and the convenience of planning site-seeing tours on site. The food was just okay - a few good meals (chicken wings at Barefoot, crepes at Josephine's, lamb at LaToc, a few not so good, mediocre over all, definitely not great. For my first caribbean trip, this was an easy decision. I would only do a partial AI again - just for breakfast and would venture out and stay elsewhere. I would definitely stay at the North end of the island and take a day trip or two that includes the South end. It's a BEAUTIFUL island. Enjoy!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your help! I can't wait to get to St. Lucia, wherever we end up staying, I understand it is an absolutely beautiful island. I certainly appreciate your input.