Rain every day? Turks and Caicos

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain every day? Turks and Caicos

We leave in 15 days.

I know they cannot predict weather that far ahead [they try, but really...should they?] and I am seeing rain forcasted from now until a good while from now!!! Like when we will be getting ready to go.

I know on Grand Cayman you can see rain forecasted, and it may rain for a couple minutes and then blow over...my question is this - when it shows the hour by hour [on weather.com] it shows rain EVERY hour! I can't imagine it is a torrential downpour, so...

What are the rain days like on Turks and Caicos?

Also, water temp. Does anyone know where I can go to view water temps there?

thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM

lkemerson, there's no use obsessing about the weather. Whatever will be, you have no control. I've seen very hard rains and short passing storms. My advice would be to avoid weather.com (and its hourly predictions) and just look forward to your vacation. The one thing you can be certain this time of year is that there will be no hurricanes.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM

The weather web sites for anywhere in the Caribbean always forcast rain. If you looked at them everyday for a year you'd swear the sun never shines in paradise. Don't pay them any mind you are likely to have more need for sunblock than an umbrella.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Karen,
February and March are the 2 driest months of the year in T&C. Relax and enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

To put it in context, Providenciales gets about 20 to 25 inches of rain a year. Typical east coast cities get about 35 to 40 inches of rain every year. So, while it rains in Provo, it's much less than the eastern U.S. - which accounts for T&C's more arid landscape.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I am not obsessing about it, just like to be better prepared.

What about water temp, is there a site, or link I can go to to get water temps?

Looking forward to a good time away! No worries, just questions.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM

We were there around the same time as you 2 years ago. It was the perfect weather, I don't recall any rain. The ocean water was warm [the average is 74-82 year round supposedly]. You are going to have so much fun. Please post a trip report.
Trish
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Actually we were there a little earlier, so it will be even warmer for you!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I had the same forecast when I headed to Anguilla. Rain everyday. It only rained once for about 5 minutes. Like most of the other posters agree, try not to look at the weather reports. It's the Caribbean, so it may rain for a few minutes, but it won't be all day. T&C is supposed to be one of the drier islands, unlike St. Lucia or the lusher islands, so that should work in your favor.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM

i havent seen any rain in the forecast and i have looked every day, since i too will be leaving for provo in less than 15 days.
good luck! are you doing any diving?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

cjnow,

Don't check the weather channel site, if you didn't know better, you'd think it never did anything BUT rain there.

No, unfortunately, we will not be diving. We usually go to Grand Cayman in April and had planned to do diving lessons prior to going there [March would be diving lesson time], and doing our open water dive there for certification at our April trip [I think that is all the correct terminology ] However, we are very blessed to find ourselves due to be grandparents in April for the first time, [we go to Cayman as a family]. We still wanted someplace fun and warm to go to, and decided may we should go someplace new. We found a good deal on Provo, so off we go, but prior to when we would have taken diving lessons. Bummer.

So it'll be snorkeling for us. Next time...DIVING! So please post a trip report upon your return to tell us all about the diving.

We'll be there the 20-28th.