quick Caneel question

Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick Caneel question

Caneel used to provide a complimentary bottle of rum in the room. Wondering whether that's still the tradition. What about bottled water? Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM

Just back from there. Yes, complimentary bottle of rum and some complimentary water was provided.

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Schrink. Are you Caneel old-timers, as we are? Has the food improved at all? (What's the new beach grill like?) Is the tea set-up in the afternoon still pleasant? (We bring a few things back to the room for breakfast next day-- beats crashing to make it down to the awful and early continental breakfast.)
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Next time you go, consider booking your trip through Virtuoso. You'll get the cold continental breakfast (that's served in the restaurant) during more civilized hours!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Just returned from Caneel my 12th stay. It was horrible. The place was infested with no seeums. My room was on Scott's beach and they were in the bedding, making skleep virtually impossible. I averaged about three hours/night One morning I counted forty bites from the knee down on one leg alone Guests were obseved covered with welts from bites Saw some reading in the terrace lounge with towels wrapped around their legs for bug protection. Off and Cordaid was ineffective.

Most lounge chairs were covered with mildew.

So sad to see what was such a magnificent place become so shoddy.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

MP: thanks for the Virtuoso rec. In fact, we get a fairly hefty discount from an old colleague of mine who works in the stateside office.

Diane--sorry (for everyone's sake) to hear the news about Caneel. I suppose the rains have a lot to do with the insects (have been reading on many posts how awful the bugs have been in the last couple of months) The mildew on the chairs is inexcusable though. Likewise if there're holes in screens (tho no-seeums are such small buggers-- could probably get through even with good insulation) Even with our good discount (only reason we can afford Caneel to begin with), we've been tempted not to go back. The rooms are fairly shoddy and often things don't work properly. We've never thought the food was great. And for sure there's a real lackadaisical attitude among staff. We love the snorkeling, the variety of beaches, the handsome grounds, so we keep returning. But perhaps our December visit will be our last. (Spend whole time at Gallows and just go to Caneel to snorkel for several days.) Did you report your dissatisfaction to proper "authorities"? I hope so. And thanks for your report.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM

thanks for the update, Diane! We're headed to Caneel on Monday so I guess I better put bug spray on the shopping list.....
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Hope I did not put a damper on already planned trips. Prior to this trip, I have always loved Caneel and had always had great anticipation in returning.

Caneel management used the recent hurricane activity as an excuse for the bug problem However I had just come there from Little Dix and then left Caneel for Morningstar and they had no such problems.

Another issue I had was that we had in excess of $6,000 on deposit for three rooms since last March. When I noted their Summer Escape Special on their website, where our rooms were listed for $145/night/room less than the price on our booking, I asked to have our rate changed by cancelling our existing reservations and rebooking at the special price. I was told that if this were done our $6000+ deposit would be forfieted. Consequently, we were charged $2300+ more for our stay than other guests who had identical rooms at the special rate. Some reward for early booking and long time loyalty.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Diane: I think that the way Caneel handled the discount situation was poor. Really surprised me that they were unwilling to extend to you the lower rate.
Also: Are you sure that those bugs in your bed were noseeums? I've never heard of noseeums getting into rooms, much less bothering people in their beds. Many many hotels-- including high-end hotels-- all over the world have experienced problems with bedbugs. Are you sure these things weren't bed-bugs?

Schrink: If you're still monitoring-- did you experience these serious bug bites-- in the room?

(I do think any outside bug problems-- mosquitoes, noseeums, etc-- sometimes just can't be helped, nor can a resort be faulted. I also always expect a certain number of critters in the room in the Caribbean-- don't love them, but I can deal with that. Bedbugs, on the other hand, would be another story altogether.)
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM

poss: The reality is, we were bitten both outside and inside the room, one week after a hurricane dumped over 2 feet of rain on St. John. The inside bites did not match what would be a typical bedbug infestation (I should know, as I once rented a summer sublet in the East Village in the early '80s, and the place had a serious bedbug problem!). We had one horrible night - told the front desk - and they took care of the room for us.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying, schrink. And I'm glad to be able to put the bedbug fear to rest. We, too, have had the distinct displeasure-- in a quite elegant and respected hotel in Venice a few years ago. It was a horrendous experience, and I remember that the bites from those bugs were quite different from other kinds-- I'd know them anywhere.
I think that perhaps the bugs mentioned in the bedding in a previous post may have been bites gotten earlier in the day, which fired up at night.
In any case, I know that after lots of rain, there're likely to be plenty of bugs around. I was sorry to learn that so many folks experienced that unpleasantness, but also happy to know that the islands weren't hit very seriously by those various storms.
We head to Caneel (and Gallows Point) in two weeks, and I'm hoping that our experience will be in all ways pleasant. We're getting way up in years, and I'm not sure how many more of these happy jaunts are in our future. Carpe diem!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Poss,

I'm not sure that they were no seeums. They were tiny and moved like fleas. They definitely were everywhere, The only real escape was in the water.

Upon first arriving, I stopped to visit family members who were in the water of Caneel Beach. I literally had to wade into the water to the level of my shorts to escape the massive biting in order just to converse. My final night, I spread towels on top of the bed, which formed a barrier from the insects, and that offered some relief - But what a way to try to get some sleep.

As stated before, this had been my twelfth stay Several years ago we were there at the time of massive 24/7 constant rain storms. Even then, or at no other times had I ever experienced anything like this.

During this visit, the resort had extremely low occupancy. The place almost seemed deserted. I fear in order to cut costs, there may have been staff reductions, (heard talk of this at the bar), and perhaps there is not adequet staffing to meet the needs of such an expansive
resort.

As far as my being charged more for our rooms, the lesson learned, is' never book early' The resort has use of your deposit money, and guests are penalized for such. Incidentally, I checked availability one day prior to Thanksgivingweel, a normally very busy time. Every type of room was available.