Caneel Bay or Little Dix Bay?

Dec 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Caneel Bay or Little Dix Bay?

Looking at each of these for honeymoon ideas...any suggestions as to one over the other? Also, for the standard rates, do either include breakfast so you don't have to find food each morning? Thanks!
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM

There have to be 100+ threads on this board already on this exact topic.

Do a search and read those threads first. You will probably find all the answers to your questions.
Dec 15th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Both Caneel and Little Dix, (SimplY Caneel or Simply Little Dix) have plans that would prove to be significant savings As I recall, all three meals plus airport transfers are includedfor $75/day/person. (It is nice to be able to order off the menu and not worrry about prices.) If purchased independently, it is not unusual for the cost of three meals to run about $100/person.

Caneel has seven beaches with the buildings spread out amongst them. Little Dix has one very large beach with all of the buildings in close proximity to it.

I have met an equal amount of people who prefer one resort over the other. Both are lovely places, and choice is a matter of individual preferences.

Cannel offers a no charge early morning continental breakfast, which consists of coffee, tea, juice and rolls in addition to an afternoon tea with cookies. This may also be offered at Little Dix.
Dec 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM

I find the food at Little Dix far superior to Caneel. But if you stay in an upper unit of "turtle Bay" section or Scott Beach the accomodations at Caneel,while a bit smaller, I prefer.

If you can get into Cottage#7 in units C,D,E, F (NOT A or B) it can make the stay at Caneel a true pleasure for couples and the food is good enough. But Cottage#7 cost $100/night more than Scott Beach, but worth it, in my opinion.
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:15 AM

tpatricco , I am aware of your annoyance with Newbies posting previously asked questions , I have seen your response before . Perhaps it could be looked at as a positive , maybe someone who responds may have JUST returned from the destination and has not only an updated version , but their personal take on things , something new to offer so to speak . Everyone has something different share , if in the end the do not get enough responses a search would be of great benefit . Just a thought !
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM

We thought Caneel blew away Little Dix because of the privacy factor of having seven beaches and sprawling grounds. Also fantastic wade-in snorkeling from the beaches.
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:25 PM

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Caneel bay and LOVED it! The grounds were beautiful and we spent hours and hours on our porch admiring the sunrise and sunset and watching the boats pass by. SO relaxing! I can't say enough about the resort. Loved the louvred windows. You wake up to exotic birds calling to each other over your head and it just puts you in an island state of mind where all the worries of the outside world are forgotten. The 7 different beaches all have different personalities. You will never be bored! On our last night we got 'take out' from the Equator restaurant and took it down to Honeymoon beach at sunset. There is no more romantic setting than that. Just you, the one you love, a beautiful sunset and crystal clear water - we highly recommend it! Also, definitely do TEA at Turtle Bay and rent a car for a day to traverse the island. This is not for the faint of heart however. Get a quality car that can manuever the mountainous terrain. Our best days were spent on the resort. If we had it to do over again, we wouldn't leave.
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM

One further comment: I can't speak for Little Dix but at Caneel, there is a buffet breakfast each morning at no additional charge. I found it quite nice to have my 'new husband' seek out and bring goodies back to the room while I slept. Also a nice touch was the gift basket of rum, water and champagne left by the Caneel staff upon hearing that it was our honeymoon!
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Ike

Please don't go to either place for your honeymoon......if you do then go to Little Dix but both are not easy places to get to especially Little Dix. You can fly to St. Thomas, then Tortola and Virgin Gorda but it will take you all day and neither are worth it.

I had a lot more fun at The Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas but Cap Juluca or Malliouhana on Anguilla have both beat by miles. Go to the CJ or Malli sites and see for yourself. Little Dix is quaint but nothing fancy and way out of the way. Caneel Bay is horrible. Spread out too much and the rooms are nothing unless you go for the highest priced ones which I did and I was not impressed. Please stay away..........
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM

One must remember 'different strokes for different folks'. I have stayed both at the Ritz and Caneel Bay. Presently I am in the process of making arrangements for my eighth stay at Caneel.
True the rooms are spread out which for me, is one of the resort's great charms. It makes for ultimate privacy among the seven beaches as oppossed to row upon row of lounge chairs as per Ritz. At Caneel, the off shore snorkeling is terrific, while at the Riz it is only so so and the water entrance is rocky. If you like to spend most of your vacation in your room, the Ritz may be for you, but if you like a get away from it all feel, you will enjoy the beautifully landscaped spacious ground of Caneel.
Dec 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Well, we have chosen Little Dix Bay for the fact that it seems to be more secluded and possibly less crowded than Caneel Bay. We have almost 2 weeks, so the little extra time it will take to get there is no hassle, plus i am looking forward to the boat ride, it will be a relaxing way to start our vacation. We have a flight into Tortola, so the boat ride I think is less than an hour.
I am looking forward to seeing the improvements which the website describes, i.e. the new pool. For those looking, I was able to get a plan through a Virtuoso agency, which means that we do get breakfast each morning (no extra charge) without having to go on the full meal plan (which we didn't want bc we would rather try different restuarants).
In response to tpatricco, i apologize if my question annoyed you, but in all honesty, with my brief search, I saw no posting which specifically questioned the differences between these 2 particular resorts. With the very little time I have available to search through the forum, I would rather just post my specific question and see what people have to say about it. And as "faithie" acknowledged, you never know what new things people will have to say.
If anyone has any suggestions on what their favorite things to do there were, I would love to hear about them. We are so excited for this trip!
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I think you have made a great choice , wish I were going . Places like that are like Robinson Crusoe with linen , sort of the best of both worlds ! The Peter Island Resort is in a similar vein I think , have fun ! Faith
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Ike

I wish you a great Honeymoon "time for vacation" but you will be bored of VG after 4/5 days. There are not a lot of choices for other restaurants if I remember correctly. I think you will end up Little Dix 24/7..........Don't worry about "tpatricco".......these message boards always have one "peckerwood" that wants to be a smart........well I better not say but not nice kind of folks..........Have a nice trip. When you get tired of Little Dix take the boat to Tortola and St. Thomas for a visit............Good luck and Bon Appetit.
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the good wishes...with our work schedules, "bored" sounds fantastic! haha...but, yes, we are taking teh advice and planning a day trip or 2 to tortola and a day trip to st thomas, as well as any other day trips we can locate! I like thelocation, somewhat secluded, but access to other islands to explore. if we don't end up napping every afternoon! p.s. i agree about tpatticco-there's always 1 in each bunch! thanks for your advice! we are so excited for the relaxation!
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:41 AM

You should go to traveltalkonline , a super site with a board primarily for BVI s , do not forget Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy Dollar Bar for a day trip ! Faith
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Caneel has a day trip to Little Dix. Their boat runs Mon., Wed. and Fri. You may want to check with Little Dix if they do the same. Another possibility would be to fly into St. Thomas. Caneel will provide transfers from there to their hotel. Stay 2 or 3 nights there, and have the Caneel boat take you to Little Dix Since you have the time,you can experience both resorts and islands. Also Little Dix will take you to private snorkeling spots which sounds very romantic, especially for a honeymoon.
Dec 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM

You have made a great choice, though you would have enjoyed either. We have stayed at both and while we loved the grounds and the many beaches at caneel, LDB was our favorite.

Some things that we enjoyed about LDB:
- Though only one beach, it is huge and we had no problem finding private areas on the beach.
- LDB has a water taxi service that will take you to any one of nine other beaches in the area. You can go for anywhere from 1 to 4-5 hours. Some beaches are great snorkeling, some are just secluded and private.
- We ate at area restaurants. There aren't loads, but some are very good, Georgios, Rock Cafe, and Top of the Baths are a few.
- We had some great day trips with DoubleD Charters. They go to Jost van Dyke, Anegada, The Caves and well as many more. They have an email address on their website and will send you a current list of trips.
- Call the NY office for LDB, the number should be on the website. They sent us menus and activities lists that were great for planning ahead.
- Check out Traveltalkonline.com it is full of activities on Virgin Gorda.
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

excellant, thanks so much...i will print out all the info and keep in in our travel book! i saw on their website a drawing of the new pool, granted, it is a drawing but it looks like a beautiful set-up. maybe i will just leave tomorrow, why wait?!?!?
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I just read this thread, and timeforvaction 2 weeks at Little Dix shuld be ideal. We stayed there for 3 short nights, combining it with Caneel.
We had planned to do this combo again-and along came huricane Lenny.
First of all flying into Tortola is easy, we relaxed on the private ferry,
rum punch in hand. We enjoyed our
breakfasts in the pavillion, love dinner at the Sugar Mill. We went to the Bitter End for lunch, would have loved to try Biras Creek. We did the baths on an off cruise day. LDB has lots off grounds activity-such as a sailing to Anegada, plus a beach barbeque. I would think they
are still doing these trips. Lots of choices.
One of the highlights of our trip was the ferry to Caneel, wonderful trip.

We had been to Caneel before this combined trip-and for us we preferred Caneel as we loved the dining in Cruz Bay. We had met a honeymoon couple on the ferry, they preferred LDB. I would say that LDB has better dining then Caneel, nothing comes close to the Sugar Mill, as the tables are almost on the sand. "Both are lovely places" to
second Diane's opinion. You cannot go wrong!
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

For each of those that have been there, i have one major concern that I could use some help on...now that we are all booked, I saw some photos of a room there on some website...it looked motel 6-appropriate. Was this just a bad shot? the rooms on the webiste (of course) look beautiful. I know they have been refurbing the rooms lately, but are they nice? Am I going to feel like I may as well have chosen a holiday inn somewhere? This would be a HUGE nightmare for me...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO