Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If you only had one night at Caneel........

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had one night in Caneel, would it matter which room type you had? Also would it be better to go into town for one dinner or eat at hotel (could get package with dinner included for $60 for two).

THANKS!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Laura,
We ate at Caneel one day and it was ok food.If it is just you and your husband...I would go to Asolare or Chateau Bordeaux..which both are said to be romantic,good food and Asolare has beautiful sunset views.

We are going on Thurs. and want to try both places (if open in Sept.)Good luck!!and have fun.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

We'll be visiting for the first time next June for 5 nights in a beachfront room, so I really can't speak from experience, BUT if I were going to be there for just one night I would get at least a beachfront room and I'd probably try to get Premium beachfront or Cottage 7 to really maximize the experience. Depends upon what your budget is of course.

We got a deal through Virtuoso that includes the breakfast buffet, so our plan while we are guests at Caneel is to tank up at the buffet, and eat dinners out at Cruz Bay.

-Bill
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM

$60 for 2 is not bad a all, especially if it includes gratuity and drinks? It would cost nearly that much per person for a fancy dinner out including gratuity and drink(s). The food at Caneel's Equator restaurant is pretty decent, perhaps not as haute cuisine as other places on the island. I agree if you have a choice, try to get near or on the beach.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 04:46 AM

I have not been to Caneel for a few years--but I have been there about 5 times. I would choose Scott Beach, Hawksnest, or Turtle--of course Cottage 7. Yes, get a room on the beach.
We only dine at Caneel maybe once during our stay. The Turtle Bay Estate House is a more formal setting--very much like a county club. Dining on the patio is lovely (not always a choice). I have tried but I have never had a great meal at The Equator, plus it can be very noisy.
I love Cruz Bay. Its a funky little town--I would go to Ascolare.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Without a doubt, 10 Tables was the best restaurant that we went to this week. We also loved Tage and Zozo. 10 Tables had a picture with Molto Mario (of Food TV), so it was evident that others thought as much as we. Enjoy!