Is Westin Grand Cayman worth the price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a resort for my husband and I one year anniversary. I thought I was set on Aventura Spa Palace because it is affordable and all inclusive. HOwever I have started reading about Grand Caymand and it looks great. Can anyone tell me if this is worth the extra money and about the beaches, cost of food and other details. thanks in advance for the help.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM

There were things that we liked about Grand Cayman, such as it was an easy flight. It was also a safe island, the food was the best we've ever had on any Caribbean island and the water was so pristine. However, we would never again stay at the Westin. The rooms have a mold problem, the staff doesn't "get it" and there are many conventions at this hotel. That means they close off the pool area to anyone not staying at the hotel that is not part of the conventions. Not a good way to handle a business.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM

We stayed at the newly refurbished Marriot Beach Resort in June - it's a wonderful place with brand new furnishings. It's cheaper than the Westin and centrally located on 7 mile Beach. The beach area in front of the resort isn't too wide, but gets wider a bit up the beach. It was plenty big enough for the number of guests at the hotel -- and the water color is beautiful and clear! Some restaurants are expensive but we had wonderful food so we didn't care about the cost. Typically $100 (US dollars) for dinner for two, including wine. I highly recommend The Wharf for dinner and Coconut Joe's for an inexpensive breakfast.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM

There are many many posts on Cayman. If you do a search you'll get plenty of answers to your questions. Lots of info. Good Luck! (I'd suggest a condo rather than a hotel, by the way.)
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM

When I visited Grand Cayman, I stayed at the Westin. The beach was amazing, the water beyond words. The hotel itself is nice but not worthy of the price they ask. Our room didn't have a mold problem like Knowing had said but it wasn't anything special. There happened to be a convention when we were there but the pool was never closed off. I have read other posts where people said the pool was closed because of the convention. All that being said, I can tell you that with even the hotel being full like it was(due to the convention and it being a holiday week), the beach was never crowded. If anything, it looked like it was off-season. I didn't mind spending the money to stay there when I think of the beach. We walked along the beach from the Marriott back to the Westin and I can tell you the Westin had the nicest beach. If you want to consider something else, right next to the Westin is the Villas of the Galleon. Their beach is pretty much the same as the Westin's but you get the benefit of staying at a condo. The Villas of the Galleon was damaged by the hurricane last year but I believe they plan on reopening in December. Whatever you choose, you will see that Grand Cayman is an awesome island.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I want to clarify the following statement I typed in the above postquot;I have read other posts where people said the pool was closed because of the convention." I meant to say that I have read posts of the pool being closed due to conventions but I don't want you to think I'm referring to the same one as to when I was there. I was referring to other time frames. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM

we stayed at The Westin in Grand Cayman about 3 years ago and had an OK time. I must say the water color in the Caymans is up there with the best! The staff at the hotel was a bit "clueless" with the exception of one great girl who was a bartender at the pool bar. She was great every time we saw her and the warmest one in the entire hotel. We would not return to the Cayman Islands because it's not much more than a hotel strip you would find in Florida. We went up to the Hyatt and found it equally as generic with the service being mediocre as well. Another thing to know about the Caymans is the exchange rate is horrible. One mixed drink is about $12 US. We felt that the locals did not welcome tourists like they do on other islands. One cab driver actually yelled at us because we asked to pay with travlers checks (when the hotel doorman told us it would be fine) Overall, we have found that many islands look good on websites and when you get there they are very commercialized and a disappointment....The Caymans is one of them. If you want a quick flight and a memorable romantic time look into Bermuda and The Reefs hotel. (and no, we don't live there or work for them) You won't be sorry!