Reload this Page >

Westin Casaurina Grand Cayman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Natalie

Hi,<BR><BR>We are going to GC for our honeymoon in November. We're booked at the Westin. From the research I've done, and from what our travel agent said, this is the nicest resort there (we didn't want a condo this time because it's our honeymoon). Just wondering if anyone has stayed in this hotel and what your experience was.<BR><BR>Thank you!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Keri

We would not choose it again. We stayed there in February and had a lot of reasons - and then some - why we would not stay there again.<BR>The next time we visit GC, we will stay at a condo.<BR>If you do a search, it will provide you with some insight as to why we feel this way.<BR>Being as how you have already booked, you probably can't do much about it now. So, I will just say this: GC is a nice island with some nice sunsets and great restaurants. So, make sure that you get out and try them. <BR>Best wishes.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Natalie

Really? I just did a search and found only good things. Is there something specific you didn't like? You referred to "a lot" of reasons but didn't list any. Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Toni

Natalie, <BR>Not to worry...you will absolutely love Grand Cayman...and the Westin. It is a very nice hotel that sits on the best stretch of 7-mile beach. Snorkeling straight out from their beach is very good. The sand is like powder. <BR>Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Debi

We stayed there and loved it. You definitely want an ocean view room, though - it's just gorgeous watching the water. The beach was beautiful, the concierge service was very good, the restaurant that served breakfast was fun. We really enjoyed it and would definitely stay there again.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Natalie

Thanks Debi and Toni for the information! We can't wait to get there!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Chris

Natalie, I don't know what your travel background is, but be aware that while the Westin is indeed the best resort on GC, there are no outstanding resorts on GC. You can find world class resorts on most of the Caribbean islands, but not so with GC.<BR>What's wrong with the Westin?<BR>Well, for the price, the rooms should be more than very basic, restuarants should be better, they have too many conventions there which tend to overtake the public areas, etc.<BR>The Westin is not flawed. It just isn't really special. I'm not sure why GC has lagged in this area. There is a new Ritz Carlton under construction, but it won't open until late 2003 at earliest.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Keri

Natalie-<BR>Reasons include:<BR>1.Six days out of seven, the hotel property was overrun by convention people. This means the lobby, the elevators, and the pool area are full of people and customer service goes down if you are not a part of those groups.<BR>2. I would never choose to spend that kind of money again on a mediocre room. We also had to change rooms due to an overwhelming mustiness. We've never had to do that anywhere before.<BR>3.Part of the beauty of GC is it's food. However, at the Westin, we had to get up from our table to get silverware at the Sunday morning brunch. With the exception of decent food there, the Westin had the worst food anywhere on the island(in other words, we left it there)<BR>4. The drinks were VERY expensive, and not any better than anywhere else. <BR>5.The staff just didn't make us feel welcome. When we left,the other couple that had arrived and left at the same time that we had, said this was the first vacation they were ever on where they couldn't wait to leave. <BR>I guess what I'm saying is, if someone walked up to me tomorrow and offered us a really good price to stay there again, we would decline.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:17 AM
allen

I completely agree with keri. the westin charges 5 star prices for 2 star services. what you get at the westin is a lovely part of 7MB. and the reason it's the best resort on the island is because it's the only resort on the island. when the ritz opens, it will give the westin a run for its money. i stayed at the westin and mediocre is the best anyone can say-about everything from the rooms to the food to the service.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Natalie

Allen, Too bad you didn't have a good experience there. We did alot of research and know we made the right decision for us. And, I know it will be a wonderful time.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Beth

We have stayed at the Westin about 5 times, and I liked it! It is very expensive ,but I like being on seven mile beach. This year we are going to stay at the Avalon. It will be a better deal, and a better view. I hope you enjoy your honeymoon. I think the Westin is fine. I would much rather stay there than the Marriott.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:53 PM
allen

I too booked myself a condo at the Avalon. Don't get me wrong. I had a great time on 7MB, I just felt for the<BR>prices The Westin charges, you would think there would be better service etc. etc. I really was unaffected. Out each day swimming,<BR>reading and snorkeling. That all makes it easy to ignore the negatives at The Westin. Honeymoon or vacation...it's a great spot on the island. Don't expect what you've paid for, and the rest is about floating in the ocean.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Natalie

Allen,<BR><BR>Fortunately, we all have different expectations and opinions. Have fun at the Avalon!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Michael

I read this thread and wondered Natalie why you were asking for experiences and then went on to say that you made the right decision for you. So, your reasoning for asking was what?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Fred

Natalie,<BR><BR>I know you said that "we didn't want a condo this time because it's our honeymoon" but there is a very good reason that so many folks recommend condos on GC over the hotels. The reason is simple, it's price versus value. For what you'll pay at the Westin, you'll get so much more by going with a condo. The Westin does get many rave reviews, but if you did enough research, would of easily stumbled upon the negative reviews as well. Most of the negative reviews seem to be about high prices, and crowded conventions over-running certain areas of the resort. Hopefully, there will be no large conventions the week you are there, and you have a wonderful experience. You are right, we all do have different opinions & expectations. But please don't make the mistake of being in denial that some of the negative things happen to the resort you chose. The reality is that all resort have their problems. You have chosen a top rated hotel, just be advised that some of the things others posters have mentioned do in fact happen. Go with an open mind, and if these things do happpen during your stay, try not to let them bother you. Remember, the people that suggest condos over hotels aren't wasting their breath, simply trying to point out what has worked better for them after going the hotel route. My wife & I stayed at a hotel that gets many negative reviews for our first trip to GC, and had an amazing time. I guess it's all what you make of it, and how you handle possible problems that might arise. It's vacation, so whatever happens, if anything, don't let it bother you. I hope your honeymoon is everything you hoped for....enjoy!!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:49 PM
allen

Actually, I do feel I have reasonable expectations. During the Christmas holiday, we spent over 500.00 per day at the Westin. What I expected was our room to be cleaned before <BR>dinner time, there was a limit on towels at the beach, having to set up chairs and be charged if you don't bring the towels to the correct drop off bin, because the Westin allows anyone on their property- the crowds are beyond one's imagination. There<BR>are very sweet kids that bring you lunch, but they are so busy and under staffed, that waiting is half of the problem. Getting what you wanted is the other half. I won't even mention how much a bad salad cost.<BR>As I said, it did not ruin our good time. But we walked the beach and found that having a 2-3 bedroom condo- with ocean views- was <BR>almost half the price of a tiny room at the Westin was the way to go. And I can see that many others agree with me. As you will, when you get there.<BR>But you seem to have made your decision and the correct one you're for certain- why then ask anyone who has actually been there?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:07 PM
steve

I am with Michael and Allen. Why ask for advise, when your mind is made up? My suggestion is to read all the comments on this thread and others.<BR>95% of return visitors to Gr Cayman,<BR>stay in a condo. Now, why do you think that is? But you have done your research. Why bother asking? Have a great money moon at the Westin.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:57 AM
susie

The Westin is the Westin. We have stayed there and condos. Condos are a better value but the Westin is fine. Just don't expect 5star service. The beach is beutiful. Make sure you eat at different places. You can buy liquor across the street to save on drink prices. Westayed at Colonial Club on our second visit. It was less expensive and yet we had 3 bedrooms, 3 baths! Plus, we just walked over to the Hyatt to get drinks, and water toys. They don't care , they want the business. And yet, our beach was wide, beautiful and not crowded! Plus, the big screend in balcony was private and kept the little bugs away.<BR>The view from the 3rd floor was super. I will never forget Cayman.<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Terri

Hi Natalie, I've stayed at the Westin 4 times and heading back for a 5th at Christmas. As expected the vast difference between a holiday and 'normal' month are shown in price and crowds. Having traveled also to Aruba and St. Thomas over a holiday season I can vouch the service we received at the Westin was equal or better to the other islands. We're talking Caribbean island which always doesn't translate to quick service. <BR>Our friends have opted to go the condo route after 1 stay at the Westin. Everyone has their own particular reasons for staying in a hotel or condo. There's no harm in disagreeing.<BR><BR>I read your message and it clearly states you are 'booked' and just wanted to hear a few perspectives. There is nothing wrong in asking. NO ONE has to reply or agee with others opinions.<BR>May I suggest you take full advantage of the concierge' for your needs ranging from dinners, excursions or golf. And if you encounter a problem at the hotel, I'd advise you to speak to them prior to departure. Have a wonderful time and congratulations!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:59 AM
randy

Thanks to everyone on this thread. All of these opinions do help! I was going back and forth between a condo or The Westin. This thread led me to research condos and I will be staying at The Avalon. 3 bedroom- 2 bathroom- full service- beach front terrace for the same price as a single room at The Westin. THIS IS WHY THESE DISCUSSIONS HELP. <BR>It may be too late for the honeymooners, but the comments were just in time for our vacation. <BR>Thanks to all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -