Caneel Bay Food

Feb 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Caneel Bay Food

How is the food at Caneel Bay? I am considering a trip here and will likely buy into the food plan. I will be going in July for seven days.

Do the dinner menus at the Estate House and Equator Bay Restaurants offer variety or are the menus pre-fix or otherwise limited to a few items daily?

How are the breakfast and lunch buffets? How long are the buffets available into the morning? I may want to sleep in a few mornings preferring a late breakfast to an early lunch.

Can any one comment on the cost of beer, wine and mixed drinks? A simple price range will do since the cost of beverages is not included in any of their packages.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Feb 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM

I guess it really depends on how stationary you are. Some folks get to Caneel or any other resort and tend to stay almost all the time at the resort. Caneel's food and variety are just fine, but I think it might be more fun to have the flexibility of eating in town or at other destinations. Besides, you're already splurging on Caneel in the first place, so the money you're saving by signing on to a meal plan is probably negligible.
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:27 AM

We've always felt the food at Caneel is mediocre. But that's not the only reason we don't do the food plan. My husband and I are simply not big eaters. What we usually do stateside when we go out to lunch or dinner is share an appetizer and then share an entree (and sometimes even have room left to share a dessert-- but not usually). In other words, we could never eat our money's worth at the breakfast and lunch buffets at Caneel. We usually grab a coffee in the room or juice and coffee and danish (usually awful and ends by 8:00) at the "free" "continental" breakfast. and we usually just split a salad or whatever at the beach grill for lunch. also, there's a very nice "tea" (complimentary) in the afternoon, and we sometimes pick up an extra scone or brownie or whatever to have with coffee in the room for breakfast the next day. (Beats paying $25 a piece for breakfast.)
The buffets are open plenty long for both breakfast and lunch. You'll be able to sleep in as long as you like. Beverage costs are high. there's plenty of variety at the restaurants-- but in July, it's likely that both won't be open. Still, there'll be plenty of variety. A number of restaurants in town are quite good by the way. Bon appetit!
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:56 AM

The threads on Caneel food tell the story. It was terrific 10-15 years ago when it was managed by RockResorts. But for the first 3 days on MAP it is easier but then as I said I would have dinner ib Santa Cruz on a 7 night stay.
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I stayed at Caneel this past November and found the food to be excellent. Food at The Equator and Turtle Bay Estate House are order from many choices from the meenu or the Chef's special which your server will verbally explain.
My most remembered choices were:
Appetizer - Spring Rolls - best I ever had
Entrees, Grilled Grouper and Sea Bass - both delicious
Desserts Individual Strawberry Soufle and A collage of 3 tropical sherberts and Ice cream cupped in a chocolate dipped crust.
The Grand Buffet at the Terrace is great. There is a huge assortment of cold appetizers, incuding mounds of boiled shrimp, crab claws and giant praws, aa wide variety of hot food including made to order grill choices, and an unbelievable array of desserts.
Lunch buffet was much improved which contained many items to make your own salads, cold soup, a selection of cheese and sausage and a selection of five or more desserts. For $5 more you can chose from a selection of hot foods, grilled items, and hot soup.

Food at the terrace bar is tasty and casual. It is my understandin that upon the completion of its adition, that brick oven pizza will be added to the menu.Breakfasts are also excellent. A huge selection of cold fruits, cereals, sweet rolls, juices with coffee or tea. For several dollars more you may also enjoy a large selection of hot foods, both pre-prepared or made to order. An early free Continental Breakfast is also available.
Mixed Drinks, about $8-$9, and wines are pricy. Not sure of beer prices.

If my memory is correct, Meal Plans are Modified $90, Full - $105 per person per day. One can have as much as you want. several friends have told me that the 3 meal plan was just too much food. If you plan to go into Cruz Bay which is very close, it is a way to try other restaurants while shopping.
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM

We are going for the first time this June and our rate includes the breakfast buffet (available through Virtuoso Travel). We are planning to eat dinner at Caneel once or twice and taxi into Cruz Bay for dinner the other evenings. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like the food has gotten better since they hired a new executive chef last year.

-Bill
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Bill: What is Virtuoso travel? Have you used them before? Were they able to get you much better rates than going to Rosewood or Caneel reservations directly? Thanks. p.s. June should be a great time to be on St John!
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I'm not Bill, but I read about Virtuoso on this board prior to reserving at Caneel Bay for 6 days this past November/December. I called the 800# and they had a local travel agent call me back (I'm in NYC) literally within an hour. The rates that they offered were exactly the same as the rates that were posted on Caneel's website. The only difference was that breakfast was included. The woman was very nice. Over the next few days, my husband and I made a decision on what our plans were and when I called back this travel agent, she was out and her assistant was helping me. This assistant took the information, and called me back a few minutes later to inform me that Caneel was already booked. I thought it was weird so I called the hotel directly. They had availability and I booked it.

The whole thing annoyed my and sometime a few weeks later (after our trip), someone from Virtuoso did call to see how my experience was. I told her and she was very apologetic. She said she would call me back (I'm not sure with what to say) but I never did hear from them again.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, but having said all of that, I agree with the posters who said that the food at Caneel Bay was mediocre. We ate 1 buffet breakfast, 1 buffet dinner and lunches every day at the beach grill (we did enjoy the sandwiches and fries at the grill). Breakfast buffet was until 10:30 each day and lunch buffet started at 11:30 (I think).

We didn't try the more formal restaurants because, we just like venturing into town.
Feb 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Valerie: thanks!
Feb 10th, 2006, 06:00 PM

poss,

I found out about Virtuoso from a review on tripadvisor. The reviewer mentioned that he booked through them and recieved the same rate as Rosewood, but with the breakfast buffet included. Being curious, I googled them and ended up having a converstion with an agent from an affiliated agency. I ended up booking with them mainly because of the included buffet, that Caneel was not offering. The price is the same and I've been in contact with Caneel, just to verify my request for a refrigerator and an upper floor room on Hawksnest that I made through Virtuoso and everything appears okay.

We'll see how it works out, but so far so good.

-Bill
Feb 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM

ttt for mamamia
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:27 AM

thanks for thinking of me!!! I love reading anything about Caneel!!!
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM

Another comment about Virtuoso...We've been going to Caneel for years and found a reference to Virtuoso last year on either this site or trip advisor. They connected us with a great travel agent in NJ (who I'm using again this spring for a quick trip to Bermuda)and we just transferred our Caneel reservation directly to her. While we didn't have the breakfast everyday, it was definitely wonderful when we did. Before we transferred the reservation, we spoke with the people at Caneel but they were unwilling to match the benefit (which seems sort of short-sighted to me). I understand that Platinum American Express also offers the same benefits as Virtuoso. We've never had the meal plan and will generally go into town for dinner. Lunch at the grill is fine. The buffet looks very nice but just seems like way too much food!