Pls help with finding accomodation in St. Thomas

Nov 25th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Julia

Pls help with finding accomodation in St. Thomas

Hi,

I have a linguistic conference to attend in St. Thomas. The conference site is Renaissance Grand Beach Resort. Even though this is a professional trip, I would still like to look around and have a good time.

Having read some of the comments on Renaissance, I was wondering if anyone on the Board knows of another hotel in the walking distance to Renaissance which could be a better value. Money (the less, the better), closeness to the beach and to Renaissance as well as the number of people (the less, the better) are some of the factors important to me. While in St. Thomas, I don't plan on renting a car.

Thank you so much for your replies,

Julia

Nov 25th, 2002, 12:55 PM
cdt

The only other resort I can think of that is walkable from the Renaissance is Point Pleasant. It may not be less expensive.

Also, there are some units in the Renaissance complex called "Blazing Villas" - managed separately from the hotel. Their smallest units might save you some money.

Most of the inexpensive lodgings are in or near Charlotte Amalie - not at all close to the Renaissance.

You will be able to walk to Coki Beach, which is an excellent location for swimming and snorkeling. No hotels there, however.

Nov 25th, 2002, 02:35 PM
GM

Sapphire Beach is less expensive, not too far from Renaissance. So is the Wyndham. Don't know that I would walk from them to the Renaissance; pretty windy roads and pedestrians do not have the right of way, cars have more priority.

We stayed at the Renaissance this year (in a suite) and it was nice; hope you can stay there.

Nov 25th, 2002, 03:03 PM
CB

Nothing within walking distance but several resorts are within a short taxi ride. Sugar Bay (all inclusive), Point Pleasant and Pavilions and Pools (no beach) and Sapphire (family friendly but nice beach and beachfront rooms). Might want to check Secret Harbour to see if their rates fall in your budget. Excellent beach or even Cabrita Point Resort but you will have to taxi or rent a vehicle.

Nov 26th, 2002, 03:46 AM
info

Definitely check out Blazing Villas/Pineapple which are on the same grounds as Renaissance. Definitely cheaper than Renaissance but with the same beach and very comfortable. Absolutely your best bet.

Nov 26th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Traveler

This might help
For just $499 per person, fly on American Airlines and spend 3 nights at the Renaissance http://top20.travelzoo.com/

Nov 26th, 2002, 12:54 PM
abeloff

Try Blazing Villas, but make sure to check in advance on condition of the villa you are renting. More space than hotel rooms, easy walk to beach and pool, and access to all hotel amenities.

Nov 27th, 2002, 03:01 PM
x

You might want to try looking at biddingfortravel.com It's a priceline board, and can give you a good idea of what you need to bid to get certain levels of hotels. I used it in may to get the Renaissance for $70/night. There are a variety of hotels nearby, so you should be able to find something through conventional means if you want

Nov 28th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Julia

Thank you so much for your advice. It is so nice that there is a place on the web where travelers can exchange info. Thanks again!

Dec 8th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Harvey

I would definately consider spending the extra money and stay at teh Renaissance. It has been two years since my wife and I stayed at the Renaissance. However, I don't remember any other accomodations within a mile or less. Coral World and Coki beach are about 3/4 or 1 mile walk along the beach. Both are a lot of fun. The area seemed safe during the day. I wouldn't feel very safe walking outside the resort at night. A taxi ride to Red Hook, about 5-6 miles, offers several cozy places to dine. Watch Weekend At Bernies 2 - it was filmed at the Renassiance and will give you an idea of the area.

Dec 11th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Gabby

When is your conference? Have you tried Amazing-Villas.com? Part of the condos on the grounds of the hotels, but they don't add on the extra service charge that the other owners do.

Dec 12th, 2002, 01:02 AM
lisa

I actually own a beautiful condo at point pleasant resort. walk right out to the beach. I rent it out for 950.00 for 7 nights and 6 days.... great value!!Beautiful condo!!Beautiful view! let me know if you want more information and I will direct you to my web site and some other sites I am on. p.s. there are a few weeks left this winter for rental.
Sincerely,
Lisa Gerten