Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Mariott Frenchman's Reef or Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at either of these two St. Thomas resorts? We'd love some advice.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:49 AM

I know it's subjective, but we have stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef many time....We love it there...Rooms are HUGE and make sure you get the DELUXE OCEANFRONT other wise ,you may over look the parking lot....Hotel is on a Cliff and has a Great pool area..It is also the nicest HOTEL CLOSEST to town....making a car drive very short if you want to take in some terrific restaurants in town...

Another alternative is Morningstar Beach Resort on St Thomas-- This is the BEACH that Frenchman's Reef uses...and all the rooms OVERLOOK the beach--sort of like a 4 plex unit--request BEACHFRONT and you can walk right out to the ocean..Very romantic!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:17 AM

We stayed at Sugar Bay in February. It has a private beach. There is a great bar at that level that makes a wonderful Monkey Juice and a restaurant that offers a salad bar for a good lunch, as well as other foods and a grill. A lot of natural beauty around the property. The staff is friendly and they come around the chaise lounges a couple of times a day with a fresh fruit platter. Beds are VERY comfortable.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Hi There,

The Wyndham seems to be one of those places that folks either really like or really dislike. I've never particularly cared for it but have several friends who love to go there. To me it is not my idea of a 'quiet beachfront' resort which is what I prefer.

I have referred to Sugar Bay in the past as being like a cruise ship on land and still think that is a pretty good description. There is plenty of activity, drinks and meals are included so it is easy to control your additional spending when on vacation. At the same time, the food (IMHO) is not close to being the best on the island and the island offers a wonderful assortment of food in all types and price ranges. St. Thomas would not be one of the places where I would pick an A/I option because of the ease and choice of great restaurants.

The rooms are nice - large bed, table and chairs, ceiling fan, comfy chairs and a large dresser. You also get a fridge and a coffee maker. The views from the rooms can be wonderful...partly because you are so high up on the hillside. The disadvantage to this is the long walk up and down the steps to get from the rooms to the pool, beach area and one of the restaurants.

The resort has a 'passable' beach and offers lots of water sports and activities. As a base of operations, it can be a good choice.....and if you are the type who never wants to leave your resort, it would probably be a good choice.

The Marriott properties (Frenchman's Reef & Morningstar) are right next to each other on the same beach. They also share the same amenities, restaurants, etc.

Which you would prefer is going to depend on your preference as to the type of building you like. Frenchman's is a high-rise fully a/c'd hotel like you would find in any major US city. In order to get to and from the beach you need to walk through a/c'd halls, take an elevator, go through the a/c's lobby and then walk a ways down to the beach.

Morningstar is right on the beach and is made up of several low rise buildings that have several units in each building. IMHO Morningstar gives you more of an "island" feel than Frenchman's.

Many people like the nice views that Frenchman's offers while others prefer the "on-the-beach" feel of Morningstar.

IMO, the beach at the Marriott property is much nicer than that at the Wyndham although it is so easy to get around STT, I recommend you get out and try some of the other ones. Much better snorkeling at Coki or Secret Harbour....longer, prettier beaches at Brewers and Magens. Also, ALL beaches in the USVI are open to the public.

Schultz
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:57 AM

I've stayed at both and can recommend either depending on what your likes are. I personally think all inclusive on St. Thomas is a waste of money. FR is close to town and that can be a good thing or bad thing depending on your needs. I prefer the east end of St. Thomas, close to Red Hook, for easy access to ferry to St. John, plus many good dining options.

Both are fine resorts and you can't go wrong with either depending on your likes, which you haven't specified.