St Thomas Hotel Suggestions

Apr 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

St Thomas Hotel Suggestions

Looking to get away from it all on a beach vacation in July. I'm a single girl (30's) planning a trip by myself, to St Thomas, for a few days of relaxing, sunbathing, fruity cocktails and a good book, but need some help choosing the right hotel.

A little bit of "life" would be nice - some laid-back restaurants and bars, but mostly, I want to be sure that it's safe for someone travelling alone...and I'm not really looking for a Sandals/Hedonism resort type of place.

The few hotels that have caught my eye are the Marriott Frenchman's Reef, the Ritz Carlton (is it worth the extra $$?) and Secret Harbor.

Any recommendations would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Secret Harbour gets great reviews.

I would have stayed there when I went to STT, but they were booked.
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:52 AM

hi, the ritz is worth the $$$$ if you want ritzy and pampering. think the crowd will be a bit older than you and few singles. it is also quite a ways from charlotte amalie if you care about that, but near much smaller red hook.
marriott is much closer to charlotte amalie and is a large hotel style building. if you stay there try to book in the morningstar section as its more caribbean looking and closer to their beach. they have what i think is one of the best restaurants on island - havana blue.
along the same lines as marriott is wyndham sugar bay near red hook. it is an all inclusive, which i would not normally recommend; but if you don't want to drive around the island alone at night to get to restaurants it might be a good choice. has a bar, burger grill, and restaurant right by the pool/beach. they have parasailing and snorkeling and jet skies avail from the beach.
now secret harbour. definitely my recommendation!! i've stayed there twice (i traveled alone both times) and loved it. try to get a beach front condo but if you don't its only a few hundred yards walk. the blue moon cafe is open for 3 meals, is very good and they have very fun beach bar. the suites are large and well furnished. the patios/decks are huge. the snorkeling is always good off the right side of the beach looking out into the bay. the bay is shaped so that the water is almost always calm. the beach is not long for walking but plenty large enough to get your own space and no fighting for loungers and shady spots. the rooms are well cleaned as is the beach every night. the staff could not be more friendly and accomodating.
ritz and wyndham have view towards st. john and tortolla which is very pretty.
none of these are within easy walking distance of anything. you will need to have a car or take taxis.
Apr 8th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I stayed at Secret Harbour March 31. Beachfront suite excellent for relaxing + entertaining - very large for 1 person. Beach was very small by comparison + very crowded too. Not the typical relaxing beach - water not blue-green. Snorkeling good but not great. Blue Moon Cafe is upscale + reservations required. Beach grill - poorest service I received anywhere in my life - food just ok (small portions). I was so disappointed at my stay after reading all the recommendations on this website. It was not worth the big bucks to stay there. Sapphire Beach Resort - much better beach + relaxing - however, suites/rooms are in poor condition + there are ants.
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
cdt

Hey Wisconsin - do you know if they were letting cruise ship groups use the beach at Secret Harbour?

When we were there a couple of years ago it was quiet, but I heard they might be allowing cruisers now - which would certainly account for your experience.

Sapphire definitely gets cruise ship people, but you're right, it is a longer beach.
Apr 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I would NOT recommend the Wyndham Sugar Bay personally. We held our daughter's destination wedding there a couple of years ago and were greatly disappointed. It has great potential, but was seriously lacking in quality. The rooms were okay, but the air conditioning (we were there in June) just could not handle the need. We had our a/c cranked as high as it would go and it was still miserable. We would have changed rooms, but everyone in the wedding party was having the same problem. The pool area was okay, but not the cleanest I've ever seen. One thing that I really didn't like (I'm not sure if all of the resorts do this or not), but cruisers from the cruise ships were brought in to use the facilities. Made the area crowded and messy. The scenic views from the beach were beautiful, but the beach itself was not. The hot tub/jacuzzi was SO filthy, there was NO way we were going to use it. We actually didn't see too many people who did. The food portions in the more "upscale" dining room was minimal (if you ordered a meat dish, all you got, was the meat, nothing else, not even so much as a sprig of parsley. The food down by the pool I have to say was good. There was a good variety to choose from and everything seemed fresh and hot dishes were hot. The gazebo area where we held our daughter's wedding was beautiful as well. Very scenic. All in all though I would not go back and stay at that particular resort.
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM

They take cruise ship passengers to Sugar Bay? That beach is so tiny.

I'd recommend Frenchman's Reef for what you want. Easy access to downtown to shop, a variety of restaurants, very nice pool & access to the beach if you don't stay right at Morning Star.