Parent permission ltr. necessary for USVI?

Apr 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 123
Parent permission ltr. necessary for USVI?

My daughter and I will be traveling to the St. John. Nowadays, it is advised to have a notarized letter from the other parent basically stating that you have permission to be taking your child out of the U.S. I know the USVI is a territory of the U.S. but is it considered to be "out" of the U.S. to require such a permission letter? Anyone know?
joangk is offline  
Apr 5th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,716
You might want to check directly with the airline since they are the ones that will be "calling the shots" at check-in time but even that is not fool proof. If they tell you you don't need one get it in writting. Personally,I'd have a letter with me. There's always a chance that the ticket agent may not be fully versed in the requirements (if indeed there are any) and takes it upon him/herself to deny issuing you/your daughter boarding passes. Why start of your trip with that kind of hassel when because you didn't have a letter which is easily obtainable? Better to have one and not need it rather than need one and not have it.
A_Traveller is offline  
Apr 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 97
I agree, start with your airline, but you probably want to check with the State Dept. as well.
WaywardSeal is offline  
Apr 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,870
We're going to Puerto RIco next month with our granddaughter and plan to have such a letter on hand, whether we need it or not.

It takes such little effort, after all. And let's face it--not all airline employees or government officials always know the proper standard operating procedure. Might as well as get the notarized letter and be done with it in case you run into someone ornery and/or ignorant of proper documentation.
ejcrowe is offline  
Apr 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 204
Yes, you'll need the document to travel. My travel companion has kids who live with his ex in Puerto Rico, and each of them need a detailed notarized statement each time they travel with the kids. Even with passports.
Technically, you're supposed to have one just to travel out of state.

Scubagirl is offline  
Apr 8th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 20
I just got back from STT+STJ trip with 2 kids + no dad. I took notarized ltr to be safe (afterall, it doesn't take much effort to get it - just type something and have other spouse sign/get it notarized). I was never asked for it, but numerous times (in Miami, FL and on islands) I was asked what my youngest child's name was, how to spell it etc). I joked with my 16 yr old that no one cared if I was kidnapping her, they only cared if I was "taking" my 11 yr old! I suggest taking a notarized ltr - someone I know traveled w/o one to Jamaica a few yrs ago + almost missed going (had to have spouse fax a ltr to airport!!!).
wisconsin is offline  
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 50
Several times I have traveled with my two oldest children and let them take a friend. I always had the parents of the friends type a letter stating that they give me permission to travel with their children and act as a guardian in case of an emergency, and they had it notarized. I was asked to see the letter both times that I travel with children that were not mine. Both times was American Airlines. Glad I had the letters!
ajax_1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:55 PM.